Solar Energy and The Inconvenient Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

highvolts582

Why are there Tons of Solar guys running around that are not electricians Installing solar? Are They allowed to do that? They do. Hi I live in Jersey and Im an Electrician up and coming in the solar buisness. I was wondering how these go greeners are coming out of the wood work doing our jobs and trying to pay you garbage while they get rich. Has anyone been contacted by a solar guy asking you for a price to put his equipment in. Be careful and know what your getting into with these people you may be on the hook if something goes wrong. The smallest of sytems cost about 50000 bucks and goes all the way up to a 25 or 50 k/w 250000 350000 dollar jobs. Can anyone share any knowledge of Legal requirements about these solar certified non electrician people lurking on our roofs with who knows how the hell they get insured so the electrician may be on the hook for the whole job? Please share anything on this matter.

Thanks
Feel The Power Electric

highvolts582

I know its spreading like h1n1

I know its spreading like h1n1

Im in jersey Ive got these people barking at my door and i dont know what to legally do with them. they all want to do get there hands on and its bothering me. what rules are these people govern by. And who does the liablility fall on.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
When enough people die doing solar, then we can expect to see regulation raise it's head. Not overly sold on solar, think wind has a lot more to offer as far as a ROI. How many people have broke even on their solar systems? It's strictly about money, not feel good green.

highvolts582

comeback

comeback

The fact is people love solar and as stupid our goverment is they gave what I like to call a rare Gem to us the electricians. You will all see how lucky we are to have solar in the near future not for our roofs no. We are to smart for that but for they money we will all make putting it in. We just need to get rid of the non electrician solar people. and move them to sales positions because they have no buisness laying a finger on any of the equipment.

highvolts582

Going to bed check back tommorrow

Going to bed check back tommorrow

I hope someone from jersey could shed some light on the roles of solar energy people who are not electricians and the roles of a required to be involved electrician when encountering these people and rules that should be addressed between these two entitys. This is serious stuff.
good nite.

Are these people taking these classes to work for us or themselves or whats going on wake up this is everywhere.

Last edited:

mcclary's electrical

Highvolt I am confused by your posts. :confused:

You say these solar guys are hiring electricians .... so whats the problem?

I thought the same thing, it's the same as a GC getting a contract to build a house, then he subs electrical to me, I don't want the whole contract.

satcom

The OP can make the same big bucks, he just has to get into the sales end of the business.
The sales and service of solar systems, is a great nich market in the electrical industry.

220/221

The OP can make the same big bucks, he just has to get into the sales end of the business.

I agree. The crap costs so much that there isn't much left for the poor schmucks that have to do the real work and install it.

Cavie

some of these guys want on to my payroll so they can Install it. how should I pay them?

You don't pay them. You get paid to do the nessessary electric work and get paid well or stay home. These guys most likely have someone to sign permits for $$$$. It is very easy. Remember what state you are in.

highvolts582

they license solar contractors in california? Im in jersey hope they dont attempt that here you do need a nabcef certified person on the job to collect the rebate I believe.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
they license solar contractors in california? Im in jersey hope they dont attempt that here you do need a nabcef certified person on the job to collect the rebate I believe.

Yes it's a C-46 Solar. An EC can also install a solar system, but not one used for heating or heating of water or fluids. A GC can also install solar.

And then some other contractors can install solar that is used only for heating or heating of water or fluids.

Solar is very big here, as I've said before we probably have close to 300 sunny days a year. Install a $30,000 system, get a $15,000 rebate and then many I have seen can zero out the meter even in the summer. Of course that's still about a 10+ year pay back.

Status
Not open for further replies.