Solar Off Grid Grounding techniques??

Status
Not open for further replies.

betsy

I am installing my first totally off grid solar array to a new home. All of my dc voltages will be inverted to a/c except for a few d/c ceiling fans. My problem is how to properly install a system neutral since I am totally off grid. The nearest pole structure is 1 mile away and my soil conditions are shale with little to no good dirt. I am concerned since this is my sole source of grounding. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have considered a ground grid, concrete encased and even grounding to the well pipe that is yet to be installed but I want to be sure that this will be effective. Any help would be much appreciated!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Solar Off Grid Grounding techniques??

I'm not sure what you think grounding does for you, or why you want to have your oiff grid system grounded. I am pretty sure it is still required, regardless of the source of your power.

I would think the use of the grounding electrodes as specified in the code would be a good place to start.

Keep in mind that the resistance of the earth is not really a big issue, except in the rare case of providing a path to earth in case of lighning strike. And really, lightning will go where it goes, you just want to direct it where it will do less damage, but it might decide to go elsewhere. It kind of has a mind of its own.

I suspect your best bet is to use the convenient concrete encased electrode provided by the rebar in the foundation. No amount of ground rods will be better than this at providing good contact with the earth.

250.112(M) Metal Well Casings. Where a submersible pump is used in a metal well casing, the well casing shall be bonded to the pump circuit equipment grounding conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.