solar parking lot lights

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
Hey all:

I have a very good customer with a problem.... All the underground feeders to the parking lot lights are shorted ( almost 40 yrs old and just "raw" USE cable under the parking lot). Our only option for line powered lighting is a directional bore with new cabling (yes I know about the cable in a sleeve for that purpose).

I am hoping MAYBE someone here has some thoughts on using some kind of post mounted solar lighting. The panels and batteries can be ground mounted. There is basically full sun all day on the lot, so that isnt a problem. Would prefer a system that doesnt need an inverter, minimize the "static" power draw. If such an item doesnt exist, I guess we will have no choice but to do the boring, and of course appropriate junction boxes for splicing.

Any and all ideas are welcome.......

Howard

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Check with AHJ. If a commercial lot, most times around me there are both safety concerns as well as energy code concerns.

synchro

Occupation
EE
If the customer is in northern Illinois, then snow might cover solar panels for some extended periods during a few winter months. Perhaps maintenance personel could clear it off.
I've no personal experience in trying to do this, but just bringing this up as a possible concern.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I have seen this done, but couldn't tell you the equipment details, other than probably 400-600W of PV per post (2 60cell panels). No snow issue here. But I think batteries should be sized to last many days regardless.

Kansas Mountain

Occupation
Lighting and Lighting Control Designs
Does your customer need the lights to be able to operate all night long without losing output? For commercial or spec grade solar lighting, my customers have always been blown away by the increased cost for the fixtures, along with the cost of the associated panels, batteries, etc. They almost always do a double-take and realize that for their exterior lighting to have the ability to operate all night at full output if required, traditional line voltage fixtures will wind up being more cost-effective, even if their is a near-exponential increase in the EC's labor to do the install.

I would recommend having your distributor price you a complete solar package and along with a lighting calc showing expected fc levels based on your existing pole locations. If you need to find an example solar area light for them to use for a pricing/layout exercise, I'd recommend taking a look at SOLAR PATH SUN SOLUTIONS.