Solar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

I think I missed a CEU class somewhere. I did a rough inspection on modest sized home yesterday and as I was looking at the Breakfast nook receptacle outlets I noticed 14 NM to one of them. The electrician was walking the house with me and explained that it was going to be on with a couple "Solar" circuits. I explained that this recepctacle outlet had to be per 210.52(B)(1). Has anyone done one of these houses where the new thing is solar instead of a generator? Is there a NEC article addressing this issue.

Thanks for your help,
Andrew

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
210.52 lays out requirements for 120VAC, 15A and 20A receptacles. If the dwelling is supplied with 120VAC, then receptacles shall be installed at those intervals at that voltage and amperage.

Low voltage receptacles may be added as desired, but cannot serve as a substitute for the required 120VAC receptacles.

mdshunk

For 210.52(B)(1) sure seems to want this to be a receptacle served by a 20 amp circuit. It also "...shall have no other outlets" in accordance with the next paragraph. To make it comply, that lone receptacle in the dining room that is served by the inverter would almost have to be a lone dedicated 20 amp circuit from the inverter equipment so that the other inverter recs in the rest of the house aren't on with it. Joy. I'm not sure how hard I'd push on this one, though. It does have overcurrent protection and there might be plenty of recs otherwise. Often, the recs on the inverter are specially identified anyhow so that you don't plug heavy hitting appliances into them.

mdshunk

Pierre C Belarge said:
Article 690 is for Solar installations..
Yeah, but isn't the fact that this is a 15 amp circuit in the dining room of primary importance? The fact that it starts at a solar inverter is of little consequence, so it seems to me.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
georgestolz said:
Low voltage receptacles may be added as desired, but cannot serve as a substitute for the required 120VAC receptacles.
Nor can they be of the same NEMA configuration.

JohnJ0906

210.52(B)(1)exeption1 allows IN ADDITION TO the required 20 anp receps, swiched receps supplied from a general purpose branch circuit as per 210.70(A)(1) exeption 1. I am not sure that this would apply here, but it is a possibility. Personaly, I would not put a 15 amp recep in an area sutch as this, whether permitted or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.