Soleniod Valves Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Those are the ones I am thinking of, I don't recall seeing EGCs on those that far back.
The ones I recall seeing the most were not the ones with a junction box, just 1/2 FPT hub and three leads extending from the hub - usually two red wires and a green wire, and it was nearly 20 years ago (even though it doesn't seem that long) when the plant I did a lot of work in was using those pretty regularly. I know this because the plant changed owners nearly 20 years ago and it was the previous owner that was using these pretty regularly. The current owner is still using a lot of excess inventory that was left in the shop from previous owner, many brand new parts that are 20 years old in the shop.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
A third conductor is one third of the cost of conductors as mentioned. Maybe not too big of a deal is the run is only 10 feet, but what if it is 1300 feet between the controller and solenoid valve and you already have some other qualifying EGC?

A fair point, but I have to believe there's a spot much closer to the solenoid where the green wire could be landed to a ground screw in a junction box. After all, I don't see many solenoid coils with 1300' power wires either :D They will have to be spliced somewhere too.

My point was, if the green wire is there, you have to hook it up.

SceneryDriver

kwired

Electron manager
A fair point, but I have to believe there's a spot much closer to the solenoid where the green wire could be landed to a ground screw in a junction box. After all, I don't see many solenoid coils with 1300' power wires either :D They will have to be spliced somewhere too.

SceneryDriver

Well landing them under a ground screw in the nearby junction box is not the same as pulling them all the way back to where the other leads originate, which is what I was responding to.

I have never seen solenoid coils with 1300' leads, but have seen them supplied by 1300 feet of conductor.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
SceneryDriver
I don't do that. There is continuity between the green wire and the threaded conduit connection. We just cap the green wire off and use the LFMG as the EGC. There is nothing to connect the green wire to, unless we would drill and tap the conduit body where we make the splices or pull a green wire in the conduit back to the PLC or DCS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.