solid copper wire get stiff when old ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
I've never heard of copper-clad steel. I've heard of copper-clad aluminum.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I've never heard of copper-clad steel. I've heard of copper-clad aluminum.

Looks like its used for tracer wire, and also magnets and motors.

I assume it would also be used for overhead cable, where it would act as its own messenger wire.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
I removed overhead copper conductors in 1985, they were installed in about 1930, these were for 480 distribution on poles and not triplexed. It was very hard and had to be cut with bolt cutters

kwired

Electron manager
That I knew. I've never heard of wire as such is what I meant.

Center conductor of RG-6 coax cable is often copper clad steel.

Small enough conductor it doesn't damage your copper only cutters with just one cut like heavier steel wire does therefore many never really notice.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
I wonder if someone had tried to use MIG (SMAW) welding wire. All I've seen is copper plated for corrosion resistance. And <big grin> it is intended to carry current and experience series arcs.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
Center conductor of RG-6 coax cable is often copper clad steel.

Small enough conductor it doesn't damage your copper only cutters with just one cut like heavier steel wire does therefore many never really notice.
Is that for tensile strength or to save money on copper? I can't imagine the process of coating steel with copper would offset the cost of a tiny solid copper wire.

kwired

Electron manager
Is that for tensile strength or to save money on copper? I can't imagine the process of coating steel with copper would offset the cost of a tiny solid copper wire.

No idea. But don't know much about what it takes to make the product either.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Strength, I believe. RF travels on the surface due to skin effect.

gar

Occupation
EE
210831-2058 EDT

Do some Internet searches. You will find that a steel core with aluminum over the core is common for overhead high voltage and power cables, Steel core provides high strength, and aluminum as an outer layer provides good electrical conductivity, and low weight.

From the 1940s I have some copper clad steel core wire for making a long wire antenna, was common practice.

kwired

Electron manager
210831-2058 EDT

Do some Internet searches. You will find that a steel core with aluminum over the core is common for overhead high voltage and power cables, Steel core provides high strength, and aluminum as an outer layer provides good electrical conductivity, and low weight.

From the 1940s I have some copper clad steel core wire for making a long wire antenna, was common practice.

Those conductors are a steel strand in the center and surrounded by aluminum (or copper) strands and not a solid steel wire with copper or aluminum cladding like we were talking about.

ETA: Unless you were talking about some other conductor type, but that is what is and has been pretty common.

retirede

Those conductors are a steel strand in the center and surrounded by aluminum (or copper) strands and not a solid steel wire with copper or aluminum cladding like we were talking about.

ETA: Unless you were talking about some other conductor type, but that is what is and has been pretty common.

Original rural phone lines were solid steel with a copper coating. They were left abandoned when phone lines went underground. I removed a bunch of them from one of my farms. It was very difficult to manage. I’d coil it at about 2’ in diameter and if you didn’t secure it, it would try to straighten, almost like spring steel.
Those runs were really simple. Poles about 15’ high, about a 2’ cross arm and two glass insulators. I wish I’d kept some of that stuff.

gar

Occupation
EE
210831-2157 EDT

kwired:

Whether the original post was about solid wire clad or stranded is really not material when talking about a reason. The reason is strength and conductivity. In my post I also mentioned a solid antenna wire, steel clad with copper.

To get an estimate of how a wire is constructed you would do a cross-section cut and look at the color and crystal structure.

I do not think one would normally call a copper clad steel wire either a compound or a mixture.

kwired

Electron manager
Original rural phone lines were solid steel with a copper coating. They were left abandoned when phone lines went underground. I removed a bunch of them from one of my farms. It was very difficult to manage. I’d coil it at about 2’ in diameter and if you didn’t secure it, it would try to straighten, almost like spring steel.
Those runs were really simple. Poles about 15’ high, about a 2’ cross arm and two glass insulators. I wish I’d kept some of that stuff.
I still see a few places where some poles are still standing, no conductors on them. glass insulators are usually gone, they often threaded onto a wood stem I believe and if anything that has deteriorated enough the insulator is no longer attached.

retirede

I still see a few places where some poles are still standing, no conductors on them. glass insulators are usually gone, they often threaded onto a wood stem I believe and if anything that has deteriorated enough the insulator is no longer attached.

Yes, the insulators were threaded onto a wooden dowel.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
If the scrap yard holds a magnet to it and it sticks, you will get steel pricing instead of copper pricing.
I just held a magnet to it, no attraction. sanded its surface = copper color, and inside the cut solid bare wire is copper colored. Irs just night and day different than my modern solid bare copper in flexibility. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.