solid or stranded

Status
Not open for further replies.

realolman

I hope this doesn't start some sort of ground up / ground down type brouhaha. If it does, I apologize.

In a light industrial setting, lots of fractional and small HP motors , lighting, solenoids, control wiring etc. .. .would there be any advantages or disadvantages to using stranded or solid wire. Or does it truly not matter. We had a little dust up at work today about it.

I already have my own opinion on the subject, but would appreciate yours.

thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We prefer stranded for every conduit run. Just is a lot easier to pull in. Although I have seen some spec's that required only solid conductors in sizes #10 and smaller. Can't for the life of me understand why. IMO no conductor larger than #12 should be solid.

Controls

I prefer stranded, easier to work with. Most motors may require seal or liquid tight connections, it is easier to pull wires an may splices too. Solenoids may have a block assembly where it would be hard to work with solid wires. Control cabinets : stranded for control wiring, however, 3 phase feeds on starters can be solid....in conduits, prefer stranted too.

220/221

It depends on the application and TERMINATIONS.

A lot of control work uses spade/fork/ring terminals. Stranded is the obvious choice here. Stranded would also be easier to manage and would look cleaner.

I feel that wire nuts work better on solid and screw type devices terminate easier.

Stranded pulls easier but comes off the edge of new rolls and gets all curly at the end of the roll.

Solid wire pushes easier ;)

Solid wire is cheaper and works better as a ladder tie down.

HighWirey

realolman said:
I hope this doesn't start some sort of ground up / ground down type brouhaha. If it does, I apologize.
In a light industrial setting, lots of fractional and small HP motors , lighting, solenoids, control wiring etc. .. .would there be any advantages or disadvantages to using stranded or solid wire. Or does it truly not matter. We had a little dust up at work today about it.
I already have my own opinion on the subject, but would appreciate yours.
thanks.

realolman,

I never liked joining any solid conductor to a stranded conductor, using either scotchlok type or crimps. Stranded to stranded seems to provide a more reliable connection. Most 'small HP motors , lighting, solenoids, control wiring' seem to be supplied with stranded conductors.

Stranded costs a little more, and you probably need a lug of some type on the opposite end, but are we not in he business of selling good work?

No brouhaha here, just an opinion . . .

Best Wishes Everyone

mdshunk

I go back and fourth on the matter. Depends on the application. If it's to go around screw terminals, I will use solid. For almost everything else, I use stranded. I guess I've got a mix of each on the truck.

stickelec

I have never seen solid in an industrial control panel except for Cat5e, etc. The real small stuff would be to subject to breaking if it was "moved much".

brian john

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never seen solid in an industrial control panel except for Cat5e, etc. The real small stuff would be to subject to breaking if it was "moved much".

I have, across a door, makes you want to smack an the installer.

76nemo

mdshunk said:
I go back and fourth on the matter. Depends on the application. If it's to go around screw terminals, I will use solid. For almost everything else, I use stranded. I guess I've got a mix of each on the truck.

Thanks Marc, nothing to add to that here, my thoughts exactly.

RayS

infinity said:
We prefer stranded for every conduit run. Just is a lot easier to pull in. Although I have seen some spec's that required only solid conductors in sizes #10 and smaller. Can't for the life of me understand why. IMO no conductor larger than #12 should be solid.

I saw that in a spec once at a VA hospital; if i remember correctly, it was to prevent loose strands from shorting out. Our inspector remembered the PITA it was to use it in conduit and waived it.

frizbeedog

Stranded

Stranded

Given the fact that there is a lot of vibration and movement of components I feel that a stranded condutor has a more solid connection when installed correctly. Machinery and vibration is what I think about. A solid connection is what we need.

realolman

We usually do our own installs, and also troubleshoot and modify everything. We just had an EC do an install, and he always uses solid.

He hasn't done anything for us for many years, and one of the guys flipped out, when he saw them using solid wire. Had an argument with the boss over it.

I don't like solid either , but I can't give you much of a good electrical reason for not using it... mainly ... I would just prefer to use stranded.

Others have pointed out what I think are valid reasons. Easier install, better splices... I think solid would be more prone to nicks or rubbing through....

So would you say there is no compelling reason to use stranded?

220/221

So would you say there is no compelling reason to use stranded?

Didn't you read the replys? :-?

There are compelling reasons for both.

The electrons don't care if it is stranded or solid but the mechanical applications vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.