Solution for nuisance trips

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The Sonoff S31 is an small plug in adapter that monitors the load:

1659068000437.png
If the GFCI trips you'll get a notification on your app. its a pretty neat device as it monitors power useage.
$10.99 at Amazon. Those posts about GFCI nuisance trips are almost always false. If a GFCI trips its doing its job

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
The Sonoff S31 is an small plug in adapter that monitors the load:

View attachment 2561529
If the GFCI trips you'll get a notification on your app. its a pretty neat device as it monitors power useage.
$10.99 at Amazon. Those posts about GFCI nuisance trips are almost always false. If a GFCI trips its doing its job
Well, for the most part I agree that they most likely are doing there job. BUT, there instances where high levels of RF and effects of PWM power supplies cause a high frequency to inject on the electric lines which do mess with gfci’s.
Had this condition just yesterday. New washing machine with electronic controls invariably would trip a P&S GFCI 30 seconds in from power up. So, I changed to a Leviton GFCI and no problem. Seems that when the power supply would ramp down after supplying some initial operations of the washer it would trip the P&S GFCI.

Jps1006

Tom, are you sure it offers this feature? how will it send a notification if it doesn't have power? I would not expect it work this way, but hope it does, I could use that feature

the Q&A section of the product page has this:

"Q: Will this outlet send a notification if it loses power or drops off the network?
A: There is not a battery to maintain a state if power is removed. If it disconnects from the network it still can't send data so No for both. see less
By John Jones on March 9, 2021?"

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Could it have enough capacitance built in to allow a signal to be sent upon tripping of the GFCI (or whatever).
Tom, are you sure it offers this feature? how will it send a notification if it doesn't have power? I would not expect it work this way, but hope it does, I could use that feature

the Q&A section of the product page has this:

"Q: Will this outlet send a notification if it loses power or drops off the network?
A: There is not a battery to maintain a state if power is removed. If it disconnects from the network it still can't send data so No for both. see less
By John Jones on March 9, 2021?"

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Probably just like the ones sold for use with sump pumps. Sends signal ( or lack there-of ) via WiFi to alert a user that the power has been lost

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
The Legrand with Netatmo devices have this feature as well. You can specify any connected device to send an alert if it loses power; it knows this because that device will drop off the network. If the whole house loses power, you can get a notification for that as well because the gateway will stop communicating with the cloud API service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.