Solve This Service Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe in England they wire circuits in a loop. Not sure if both ends are energized or not but if a wire gets shorted in the middle you can disconnect it and it will be fed from the other end.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
We haven't had one for a while, so here's one from this morning:

Customer called yesterday. Doctor's office waiting room. Breaker "tosses sparks and won't stay on". I arrive and find a breaker turned off (marked "Waiting Room"... whooda thunk it?), and the following floor plan. The panel is in the basement at the rear of the building.

1. Verify no power in waiting room

2. Verify the breaker tripped is IN FACT the circuit that goes to these outlets. Don't want to start troubleshooting an entirely different problem.
I like absolute continuity for this. In the process of isolating and identifying the branch circuit feeding the outlets, check for short.

3. Verify breaker operation unloaded

4. dependent on first three.......

D

Dell3c

Brother Sparky..
Some of us still waiting in audience & are now, running low on the "popcorn".. 🤪..

Will you return & solve the mystery (?)(?)

D

Dell3c

Well I agree, I probably need to get me a life.. And in all due respect, we don't always (as individuals) think alike either.

This posting, it having already 2k viewing, sense it's inception.. He took the time in posting, so maybe entailed something he believed @ time, could be very interesting (?)

kwired

Electron manager
1. Verify no power in waiting room

2. Verify the breaker tripped is IN FACT the circuit that goes to these outlets. Don't want to start troubleshooting an entirely different problem.
I like absolute continuity for this. In the process of isolating and identifying the branch circuit feeding the outlets, check for short.

3. Verify breaker operation unloaded

4. dependent on first three.......
But he said he didn't need a meter to do whatever he did and is part of why in my sequence of events was to first turn on the breaker and see if it holds or trips, still won't know if it has output other than known loads begin to work again.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
But he said he didn't need a meter to do whatever he did and is part of why in my sequence of events was to first turn on the breaker and see if it holds or trips, still won't know if it has output other than known loads begin to work again.
He said no "High Dollar" tools. Is a basic wiggy high dollar? I don't know

480sparkey said:
I didn't use any high-$ tools.... just what I have in my tool tote. Screwdrivers, linesmans, strippers etc.

gar

Occupation
EE
210524-2147 EDT

In the old days of tube type car radios the troubleshooter at the end of the assembly line at Zenith would use a screwdriver as a signal source, or as a voltmeter. Fast and quick.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I believe in England they wire circuits in a loop. Not sure if both ends are energized or not but if a wire gets shorted in the middle you can disconnect it and it will be fed from the other end.
the infamous ring circuit

so one wonders what the same service call 's approach would then be there?

~RJ~

kwired

Electron manager
He said no "High Dollar" tools. Is a basic wiggy high dollar? I don't know
Probably higher dollar than licking finger then touching to test for volts.

I've got good screwdrivers, pliers, strippers, etc. that cost more than some cheap Harbor Freight meters cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.