Some Interesting Changes in the Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I was browsing the 2010 ROP Draft and stumbled across a couple of interesting proposals.

Table 310.16 has a change- I can't remember the last time that happened but I am not surprised at the changed.

Right now the draft shows #14 @ 60C will no longer be 20 amps but back down to 15

The same is true for #12 @ 60C. It will now be 20 amps instead of 25 amps.

Also art. 310.15(B)(6) will now be art. 310.15(B)(7).

310.15(B)(7) 120/240-Volt, Single-Phase Dwelling Services and
Feeders [ROP 6-53].

(a) For individual dwelling units of one-family, twofamily, and multifamily dwellings, conductors, as listed in Table 310.15(B)(7), shall be permitted as 120/240-volt, single-phase service-entrance conductors and service lateral conductors.
[ROP 6-53]

(b) Feeder conductors for a dwelling unit, after adjustments and corrections, shall not be required to have an ampacity rating greater than the Table 310.15(B)(16) allowable ampacity of the service conductors. [ROP 6-83a, 6-85]

(c) The grounded conductor shall be permitted to be smaller than the ungrounded conductors, provided the requirements of 215.2, 220.61, and 230.42 are met.

Table 310.16 is now Table 310.15(B)(16).

Now I am confused in part "B". Sounds like feeders will have to use 310.15(B)(16) whether they carry the full load or not. I wonder if they meant Table 310.15(B)(7).

Anyone make sense of that.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
On first read I agree with you that the reference should be 310.15(B)(7).
From reading the ROPs and ROCs I thought the intent was to include service feederS (as opposed to the "whole house" feeder) but to require derating amapcity factors and such factors as the SE(NM) 60? to be taken into account.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Gus, after posting this I talked with our state electrical inspector and he stated that this article, as written, is already tossed out. He thinks the Changes to #14 and #12 wire is out also.

Another interesting thing I saw was that all GFCI required in 210.8 need to be readily accesible

21-0.8(A) Dwelling Units.
All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel. The ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be installed in a readily accessible location.

The same is true for Non dwelling

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
And yet another. Remember these are not definite as yet.

210.52(I) Foyers. Foyers that have an area that is greater than 60 ft2 shall have a receptacle(s) located in each wall space as defined in 210.52 (A)(2)(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.