Some people

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmbrk

Man, what a day.

About two weeks ago I got a call from a roofing/siding company that I occasionaly do work for. They requested that I go to the owners house to look at their intercom system (seven remote locations throughout house). They had recently finished their basement (that I had bid on a couple of months ago and didn't get. Not even a phone call.) The intercom in the basement did not work and the one on the back deck did not work. The entire system was installed by a friend of theirs and nothing was labeled. By the time we had everything labeled and figured out the problem it took 2 guys 2 hours. The basement unit was a simple miswiring and the back deck unit was acting as if the cable had been cut somewhere. We told them we would come back and run a new line Monday the following week. The HOs wife also requested a heat/fan/light unit to replace the existing masterbath unit. They said they were going to have the bathroom painted so don't worry about any scuffs or damage.
We bought the f/h/l unit and went back to install it. The house was done in conduit so we pulled a new 20amp circuit for the unit from the main panel. About 80 feet. The f/h/l unit was a PITA to install because of PVC pipe running above the location. It took 2 guys about seven and a half hours to cmplete f/h/l installation and to fish in new speaker wire for intercom unit on back porch.(wire was cut inside wall when some other work was done)
We always clean up after ourselves, but these people are clean freaks. We wiped down everything in work areas and vacuumed floors in addition to tarps and plastic. One small scuff on bathroom ceiling.
We supplied all materials including fan unit and the price came out to about $1900.00. This included first trip out to troubleshoot intercom. (45 min. from shop one way.)
Had HOs wife sign off on job and waited to get sent a check.
Got called today by the manager at their business saying the HOs were very upset about the price and the fact that they would have to touch up the bathroom ceiling. He said that they just had an attic fan installed and if I hooked up power to for free, all would be forgiven.

I felt like somebody kicked me in the stomache.:mad:

In the past I have dropped everything and ran to put out fires for these people. Truth is they really haven't thrown that much work my way. Just hook up an attic fan here or there. But they always need it done right away.

I guess I will just hook up the fan, get my check and then say "Sayanora". They can find someone else in the future.

bikeindy

He is LYING to you it is that simple guys have tried this crap with me tell him too bad I need to be paid and if you want the fan hooked up it will be $X. Pay me! he is trying to get that fan hooked up for no cost to him but will still charge the HO.

satcom

In the future get a contract signed, and a deposit before you start any work, make sure they know you want the balance paid on completion that day before you leave, no expections. Once you let them send you the bill, and don't demand paymnet on complletion, they know your a soft touch, and will take every advantage.

Last edited:

tmbrk

The work was done at the roofing/siding company owners house. His wife is the one who told me don't worry about the ceiling because they were going to paint. We were still careful but there was a scuff mark.

bikeindy

I would just quit doing work for them or if they call for a quote make it real high they will get the hint. I would still get paid for the roof vent, a scuff on the ceiling while putting in a Bath fan is common those things are a PITA. i wish they made some type of remodle style bath fan fixture.

aline

bikeindy

aline said:
I just replaced two bath fans with Panasonic bath fans. They worked out real well for this. The vent duct nozzle was easy to detatch and reattach making the fan easy to slip up into the opening from below. They seemed to be designed with remodel applications in mind.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/learn/Building-Products/Ventilation-Systems/

Yes I have done a few of these as well they are the best for remodel but I want some with the little flips. maybe I will design somethig for this I do a lot of these fan installs.

Rewire

tmbrk said:
The work was done at the roofing/siding company owners house. His wife is the one who told me don't worry about the ceiling because they were going to paint. We were still careful but there was a scuff mark.
You said the "manager" of the company the HO operated was the one who said they complained ,once again go to the HO him .her or both and find out what the issue is.If they have an issue then you repair it ,have it repaired or pay for them to have it repaired.

john_axelson

Tell me you didn't....

Tell me you didn't....

Please tell me you didn't bill the business for work done at their house. Man that is a can of worms if you did.... see attached link.

http://www.startribune.com/business/16916296.html

The landscaper is going to jail and paying a severe penalty and both people at the General Contracting Company are going to be facing felony charges for tax evasion.

Tiger Electrical

Are the Panasonics quiet? I recently installed two Broan QTR80s and wasn't happy with the noise level, or the fact that I could clearly see the motor through the cover grille. I was wondering about Panasonic for my next install.

Dave

bikeindy

Tiger Electrical said:
Are the Panasonics quiet? I recently installed two Broan QTR80s and wasn't happy with the noise level, or the fact that I could clearly see the motor through the cover grille. I was wondering about Panasonic for my next install.

Dave

Very quiet IMO. Nice looking and easiest to install in remod situation.

aline

Tiger Electrical said:

Dave
The homeowner's were very pleased with their new fans.
Quiet and nice looking.
The fans weren't too bad either. :)

cschmid

I agree the panasonics are very nice fans..I would recommend them any time..I just did..:grin:

Nasty situation you are in..just turn it over to your lawyer and let him handle it..

Status
Not open for further replies.