Someone was proud of their work. Make sure you have a barf bag ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

69gp

I was on a roof recently and i should have brought a barf bag. Pictures speak for themselves. I cannot believe that someone could do work like this.
keep it close to the ground nobody will trip over it that way.JPG just lay the rigid on the roof.jpg
crap work.jpg i cannot see how someone could even do work like this.jpg so neat and workmanlike. someone is proud of this POS work.JPG 480 DC just lay it on the roof it will be ok.jpg

Attachments

• solar 1 really.jpg
    solar 1 really.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 5

MAC702

What level of power is running through all the zip-tied wires? Is the insulation/jacket designed for exposure? Are we looking at workmanship, or imminent failures?

I got state certified to do PV (easy test), but never actually did any, and have zero experience in that aspect of the trade. I know nothing about how it's actually done.

tank728

Occupation
Electrician
I think the OP is thinking workmanship. That is quite poor. It is very easy to do sloppy electrical work. It makes it easy to tell the men from the boys

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Those disconnect switches are not rated to be in those positions, it's usually no more than 15 degrees off vertical. They are going to fill with water...

Are those the type of solar panels with the "Enphase" inverters on the back of each one, so that those are all small AC circuits? Usually if they are DC from the solar panels, the wires are all going to a "combiner box" of some sort, then to the inverter. These all look like they are going into the Disconnect switch and there is one larger cable going out. That then begs the question as to whether or not that disconnect has listed lug assemblies for all of those small wires, or if they just jammed a the bunch of them into one large lug. Given the hackish nature of the entire job, I'm betting it's all bad.

69gp

What level of power is running through all the zip-tied wires? Is the insulation/jacket designed for exposure? Are we looking at workmanship, or imminent failures?

I got state certified to do PV (easy test), but never actually did any, and have zero experience in that aspect of the trade. I know nothing about how it's actually done.

480 volts DC
wire is rated for exposure
and yes bad workmanship and future failures

69gp

Those disconnect switches are not rated to be in those positions, it's usually no more than 15 degrees off vertical. They are going to fill with water...

Are those the type of solar panels with the "Enphase" inverters on the back of each one, so that those are all small AC circuits? Usually if they are DC from the solar panels, the wires are all going to a "combiner box" of some sort, then to the inverter. These all look like they are going into the Disconnect switch and there is one larger cable going out. That then begs the question as to whether or not that disconnect has listed lug assemblies for all of those small wires, or if they just jammed a the bunch of them into one large lug. Given the hackish nature of the entire job, I'm betting it's all bad.

That is a 16 circuit Cutler Hammer Combiner box. 13 modules per string no micro inverters on the back.
Yes water is inside of them please see photo below. wiring with the CB was better than in the array. There should be a ground wire from the CB to the array but that is missing.
ch combiner box.JPG

69gp

So what happens to this place when it needs a new roof? Can all of that be unplugged and moved?
someone is going to be paying a lot of money. Typically the roof should only be a couple of years old when you install a system and most of the time it is a membrane roof. This was more of just an asphalt roof with some type of spray on layer over it that was pretty old to start.

Adamjamma

So what happens to this place when it needs a new roof? Can all of that be unplugged and moved?
In my own mind that is exactly the reason it has been done this way... either the owner said no permanent installs or knows they need a major roof repair and so wanted a temporary install. Because that is what I see, a temporary install.

That said, it still is very much below par on what I have done as temporary field installs... the shutoff panels should be straight up and down like a meter is placed... all the runs should be done through rigid at least, being temporary...
Although, again, being temporary would explain the rigid laying loose rather than being supported.

All the zip ties: handyman install to keep a temp install able to be removed quickly... If it is recent would bet put in by gypsies who are biding their time to appear in the night and remove it to sell elsewhere...

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I could post similar pics

My state is proliferated with solar fields , but none of them are errected by local business,and the poco's biggest b*tch is not one of them are required (by state law) to include a licensed spark....nor copy of the nec.... let alone ref art 690

I once had thoughts of pursing an NABCEP cert , but that's not required here as well

~RJ~

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
the picture of the big rigid shows at least 40ft, double check the rum doesnt need expansion joints. and why rigid.. old roofs do not like more weight than needed

and some inspectors here would give us grief if he saw what looks like odd "colored" couplers. ( for instance- one notorius inspector would count the threads on R.T. fittings. really.), not that its the worst thing on the roof.

edit- and the supports on the pipe! duh..

kwired

Electron manager
the picture of the big rigid shows at least 40ft, double check the rum doesnt need expansion joints. and why rigid.. old roofs do not like more weight than needed
I'm sure whoever designed that roof was thinking of PV units at that time as well, let alone all the cinder blocks to weight them down.:)

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Won't keep them in place with the wind gusts we often see during thunderstorms around here.

Probably it will be just fine. These systems are engineered for such. I'd be more concerned about the building supporting the weight. But the poor electrical work doesn't necessarily tell us anything about whether the structural engineering was done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.