South african working in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiaanb

Hi there,
I am a section 28 qualified electrician working in the hospital environment. I am planned on immigrating to the USA, my soon to be wife, is a registered nurse. She already received a employment contract. I DONT want to sit at home.....

Can you please advice me as to want I'll need to do to work as an electrician in California.

Thank you

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hi there,
I am a section 28 qualified electrician working in the hospital environment. I am planned on immigrating to the USA, my soon to be wife, is a registered nurse. She already received a employment contract. I DONT want to sit at home.....

Can you please advice me as to want I'll need to do to work as an electrician in California.

Thank you

a state journeyman's license.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/ecu/electricaltrade.html

peter d

Hi there,

Thank you

An education on American wiring systems, as the learning curve is pretty steep if you're used to British/European ways of doing things.

kwired

Electron manager
would any of his experience even count? wouldn't he likely have to start out as an apprentice?
Many places will consider experience outside of the "conventional" manner that majority of applicants get their experience. In a situation like OP is in they can open themselves up to equal opportunity violations if they don't at least look into what they might be able to work out. They may be able to refuse some things if you are not a US citizen.

Experience is one thing, passing required exams is another. You generally need the experience before you are qualified to even take exams.

Status
Not open for further replies.