Spa disconnect within site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAHTAH

2008 NEC. Part IV Spas and Hot Tubs 680.40 states you must comply with Part-I and Part IV of article 680.
Part I 680.12 requires a maintenance disconnect within site.
Part IV Spas and Hot Tubs states that the Emergency Switch shall be within site but also states that
this does not apply to single-family dwellings. Part- I does not make any reference to single-family dwelling.
This spa is going outdoors and 680.42 says comply with Part-I and II of this article but makes no reference to
any exception to the maintenance disconnect for single-family dwellings. Is a disconnect required to be in site
for a single-family dwelling when the spa is installed outdoors?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
An emergency switch is not a disconnect so yes a disconnect is needed. The emergency shut off is needed for other than single family dwellings.

BAHTAH

Spa disconnect

Spa disconnect

Even though the NEC does not require the maintenance disconnect to open all conductors to the spa the main service panel which houses the spa breaker meets the in site requirement. The emergency switch for the circulatory system is not required for single-family dwellings. The GFCI panel will be installed out of site of the spa.

Strife

There's two separate things in there.
1: The means of disconnect for the equipment (mostly pumps), that would have to be within sight of the equipment, so obviously they wouldn't be within sight of the spa.
2: The emergency shut off switch. Due to the high volume of water circulated by a spa/hot tub, a person can be trapped by the drain, therefore an emergency switch to shut off the pump is required in a commercial space, but not in a single family dwelling. Why in a multi resi. commercial, condo and not in a single family dwelling?.
Pretty simple. In all the above, except the single family, the people being around most likely are guests that are not familiar with the location of the disconnect of the equipment. Therefore having a switch within sight makes it easier for someone to find it and shut it off. In single family dwelling it's assumed that people who use it are familiar with where the breaker is for it to shut it off, or least the main.
Guess it's same reason we don't put exit signs and emergency lights in a single family dwelling.

2008 NEC. Part IV Spas and Hot Tubs 680.40 states you must comply with Part-I and Part IV of article 680.
Part I 680.12 requires a maintenance disconnect within site.
Part IV Spas and Hot Tubs states that the Emergency Switch shall be within site but also states that
this does not apply to single-family dwellings. Part- I does not make any reference to single-family dwelling.
This spa is going outdoors and 680.42 says comply with Part-I and II of this article but makes no reference to
any exception to the maintenance disconnect for single-family dwellings. Is a disconnect required to be in site
for a single-family dwelling when the spa is installed outdoors?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
There's two separate things in there.
1: The means of disconnect for the equipment (mostly pumps), that would have to be within sight of the equipment, so obviously they wouldn't be within sight of the spa.
2: The emergency shut off switch. Due to the high volume of water circulated by a spa/hot tub, a person can be trapped by the drain, therefore an emergency switch to shut off the pump is required in a commercial space, but not in a single family dwelling. Why in a multi resi. commercial, condo and not in a single family dwelling?.
Pretty simple. In all the above, except the single family, the people being around most likely are guests that are not familiar with the location of the disconnect of the equipment. Therefore having a switch within sight makes it easier for someone to find it and shut it off. In single family dwelling it's assumed that people who use it are familiar with where the breaker is for it to shut it off, or least the main.
Guess it's same reason we don't put exit signs and emergency lights in a single family dwelling.

good analogy

Status
Not open for further replies.