spa grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
i went on service call today. Customer complained that he felt a tingling in his jacuzzi that was installed 7 years ago. i opened disconnect and it wasnt gfci. and they had 8/2 with ground powering a 60a disconnect that feed a 240v 1p 3 wire control panel for heaters. The name plate clearly said to install #6 would I also need to install a full size ground wire?? The neutral from jacuzzi was landed ground bar with ground wire. I suspect the neutral was not same potential as ground and causing to have small current on ground and water. The customer was skepticalhe said that its been that way fo r7 years and never happeneded before. I explain with how old it was and wet ground that maybe water had accumulated inside jacuzzi neutral started to carry on ground wire. The customer had also noted that the jacuzzi had been flooded during flood a few years back. The jacuzzi is 7 years old and sits on a slab. The slab was existing and they just put a portable jacuzzi on slab. There was no ground ring or anything grounding jacuzzi beside the ground that was in 60a circuit. They also feed jacuzzi from a j box located with 5 feet with an SO cord leading to jacuzzi. I am surprised no has gotten shocked being in jacuzzi. Is any part of slab need to be bonded if rebar??

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
The bonding requirements for the slab were removed I believe in the ‘14 NEC.

They feel the tingle sitting in the tub or stepping in and out ?

Definitely need to split the neutral & ground. Sounds like the entire install is a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.