Spa wiring methods

jap

Occupation
Electrician
It wouldn't need that. I know its divided the forum before but the insulated EGC is only required for pool feeders not packaged spas and also required for the wiring that goes from the disconnect to the spa. Any chapter 3 wiring method is allowed to the disconnect of a packaged spa.

I guess I'm still part of the division.

Article 680 indicates Swimming Pools, Fountains and Similar Installations.
Hot tubs and Spas are in the list.

680.7 (A) specifically indicates feeders and branch circuits installed in a corrosive environment "or wet location" shall contain and EGC that is insulated copper conductor sized in accordance to Table 250.122 but no smaller than 12 ga.

To me if it's an "underground feed" (whether that be a feeder to the disconnect, or the branch circuit to the spa), then it's considered a "wet" location and would require an insulated EGC.

I don't consider the "bare" ground in UF as an insulated EGC.
If it were insulated, we probably wouldn't refer to it as a "bare" equipment grounding conductor.

Now, of it's a feeder to the disconnect or branch circuit that is "not" installed in a wet location I would think UF with a bare EGC would be fine.

JMHO.

Jap>

david

Insulated copper conductor means it has insulation around it. I don't know if the pour around the UF would be considered insulated in the eyes of the NEC
A factory assembly of one or more insulated conductors with an internal or overall
"Covering"
Of nonmetalic material suitable for direct burial in the earth.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A factory assembly of one or more insulated conductors with an internal or overall
"Covering"
Of nonmetalic material suitable for direct burial in the earth.

Your point? One or more-- it doesn't say all conductors are insulated-. It appears to me that the egc is not considered insulated

david

Your point? One or more-- it doesn't say all conductors are insulated-. It appears to me that the egc is not considered insulated
My point was you and Jap considering the eguipment ground in uf cable not insulated but covered matches the definition of uf cable.
If it is covered without insulation than it would be considered bare

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There are some section in art. 680 that say "insulated" and others where it may say "insulated or covered". In the second case nm or uf would be considered covered but not insulated

Here is an example
All metal parts required to be bonded by this section shall be bonded together using a solid copper bonding jumper, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG.

Other than listed low-voltage luminaires not requiring grounding, all through-wall lighting assemblies, wet-niche, dry-niche, or no-niche luminaires shall be connected to an insulated copper equipment grounding conductor installed with the circuit conductors.

Last edited: