Spacing of water an electrical feeders in same trench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronald Scott

Customer has built a new garage that has an upstairs room with a bathroom and is having water and sewage run to the building. The plumber has dug a 4 foot deep trench to run his waste and water pipes--both plastic. I am going to put a 100Amp subpanel in the building. I know my conduit needs to be 2 feet deep, but can I put it in the same trench? Do I have to have an offset of a certain amount..I have received different answers from different electricians and local code officers. Also, do? I need a ground rod at the outbuilding? When I did a subpanel in a garage a few years ago the inspector said I only needed a ground wire if it was fed by only 3 wires. If 4 were used I didnt need it..

wirenut1980

Ronald Scott said:
Do I have to have an offset of a certain amount..I have received different answers from different electricians and local code officers...

I think 12" is a good distance offset. I have no codes to back this up and I'm not sure that there is a national standard on this. There might be a local ordinance. Ask for a specific reference.

quogueelectric

In the ny area

In the ny area

Ronald Scott said:
Customer has built a new garage that has an upstairs room with a bathroom and is having water and sewage run to the building. The plumber has dug a 4 foot deep trench to run his waste and water pipes--both plastic. I am going to put a 100Amp subpanel in the building. I know my conduit needs to be 2 feet deep, but can I put it in the same trench? Do I have to have an offset of a certain amount..I have received different answers from different electricians and local code officers. Also, do? I need a ground rod at the outbuilding? When I did a subpanel in a garage a few years ago the inspector said I only needed a ground wire if it was fed by only 3 wires. If 4 were used I didnt need it..
There is a poco requirement for the electrical services not to be run in the same trench as the water line. However everyone does it and nobody ever knocks it down. For 250 bucks you can rent a ditchwitch for the day dont be so cheap. Add it into the cost or even in my area 3500 forb a 200 a underground the money is in the job 150'to pole allum direct burrial.

stickboy1375

quogueelectric said:
There is a poco requirement for the electrical services not to be run in the same trench as the water line. However everyone does it and nobody ever knocks it down. For 250 bucks you can rent a ditchwitch for the day dont be so cheap. Add it into the cost or even in my area 3500 forb a 200 a underground the money is in the job 150'to pole allum direct burrial.

I always backfill the water line before I start the electric, no need for the electric to be 4' underground....

Jljohnson

Ronald Scott said:
When I did a subpanel in a garage a few years ago the inspector said I only needed a ground wire if it was fed by only 3 wires. If 4 were used I didnt need it..

This is not now nor do I believe EVER was the case. Detached garage building fed from main house (if it has a sub-panel) ALWAYS requires a ground rod. See 250.32

quogueelectric

same trench

same trench

stickboy1375 said:
I always backfill the water line before I start the electric, no need for the electric to be 4' underground....
The poco redbook clearly states Not in same trench it doesnt matter how much backfill . I have a ditchwitch so it doesnt affect me personally I just dig the trench. but like I said everyone uses the water companys trench but I personally think that 200$ is not worth getting sued for on a 3200$ service.

stickboy1375

quogueelectric said:
The poco redbook clearly states Not in same trench it doesnt matter how much backfill . I have a ditchwitch so it doesnt affect me personally I just dig the trench. but like I said everyone uses the water companys trench but I personally think that 200$ is not worth getting sued for on a 3200$ service.

I thought we were talking about trenches to outbuildings.... but either way, would still not be a problem around here...

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Jljohnson said:
This is not now nor do I believe EVER was the case. Detached garage building fed from main house (if it has a sub-panel) ALWAYS requires a ground rod. See 250.32
well it always requires a grounding electrode anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.