Spade Support in a Pad Mount Transformer

mccorsean96

Occupation
Electrical Field Engineer
I am looking for solutions to support spades inside a pad mount transformer. Due to the number of terminations, there seems to be strain on the spades potentially causing damage to the gasket. Is there a bracketing system or a way to relieve tension from the spades?

What are some solutions for a problem like this?

Thanks in advance

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I am looking for solutions to support spades inside a pad mount transformer. Due to the number of terminations, there seems to be strain on the spades potentially causing damage to the gasket. Is there a bracketing system or a way to relieve tension from the spades?

What are some solutions for a problem like this?

Thanks in advance
I have seen service shops build internal structures using 'glastic' insulating parts. They mounted some strut across the top of the transformer then dropped supports down to each spade.

mccorsean96

Occupation
Electrical Field Engineer
I have seen service shops build internal structures using 'glastic' insulating parts. They mounted some strut across the top of the transformer then dropped supports down to each spade.
This is a great idea. Someone on our team suggested something similar to this. I will reach out to that manufacture to see what they can offer. Appreciate the response

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
This is a great idea. Someone on our team suggested something similar to this. I will reach out to that manufacture to see what they can offer. Appreciate the response
I don't think I have ever seen something direct from a manufacturer for field installation.