Speaker wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

binney

Inactive, Email Never Verified
What do you run for an average sound system in a residence? Is 14ga good enough? is 12 recommended?

I've never run sound before, but I'm wiring my brother's house and he want me to run sound for him. Any help is appreciated. Is there a web site or anything else that has some tips or procedures??????????????????????

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Speaker wire

16 AWG is average, 14 AWG is better.

One of the critical factors is the number of strands in the conductor. I think 70 strand is mid-grade, but don't quote me on that. :)

celtic

It looks like the wire attached to a lamp....sure it's copper, but I think you would want to use actual speaker wire - which costs a whole lot more than zip cord.
I just ran the wiring for surround sound in my LR...about 300 - 400' total; wire for me was about $500 w/NO discount at the local stereo shop.

Do a search on yahoo shopping to get a ball park idea of how much the wire cost is per foot.

rattus

Can anyone explain why special wire is required for speakers? You certainly want low resistance, but what else is important? I have known audiophiles who claimed they could tell the difference which could not be detected by instruments.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Don't forget that zip cord or simple speaker wires can not be run in hollow spaces in walls and ceilings. It must have a CL2 or CL3 rating or be rated for use in those spaces.

rattus

Celtic, thanks for the link. That confirms my suspicions. Knew a fellow once who went to a lot of trouble replacing the filament wiring in his vacuum tube amp with solid bus wire and teflon tubing. Claimed it was a matter of dielectric absorption. Claimed he could hear the difference. Then he powered up the amp on its side. No-no! Glommed a couple of expensive tubes. couldn't hear anything after that.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Keep in mind that there is NO dicernable difference between different grades of speaker wire. Cheap lamp cord works as well as expensive speaker wire. The only thing you need to be careful about is that wire size can make a difference. Speakers are low impedance so the wiring needs to be low impendence as well. bigger is better. Wire that has more strands is easier to bend and work with, but it does not sound any better. Expensive gold plated connectors sound no better than the cheap ones sold at Radio Shack. There are even people who buy "audio grade" outlets that have gold plated contacts and cost hundreds of dollars. These serve no purpose other than to reduce the size of the wallets of people dumb enough to believe the claims.

rattus

I think it is a matter of snob appeal. For one who grew up in the age of bakelite records and AM radio, the cheap audio systems we have today sound very, very good.

People want to believe that their investment in overpriced wire, etc., is worth the cost, so they believe!

69boss302

My ex wife always claimed to have perfect hearing along with her perfect pitch.

I'm still trying to figure out what the best wire would be to hook up between her ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.