Splice in Lift Station Wet Well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Pickle

Occupation
Electrical
Hello All,

Quick question. Do you know of a wire splice that can be made between a pump cable and feeder wire in a Class 1, Division 1 location, or would the splice be required to be made in a explosion proof junction box?

Do you know of a splice kit that would be rated for a Class 1, Div 1 Group D location?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
An EP junction box won't last long in a LW wet well. What we do is run the pump cable in a sleeve to outside, then do the splice in an non classified area. Typically the cable runs up the outside of a building with a SS shield into a NEMA enclosure where it is splced.
Keeps everything out of the WW.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I just had a public works employee last week ask me to quote him an external above grade junction box with a sleeve through the wet well lid.

They currently have an explosion proof junction box down in the wet well where they splice the cords in.

He told me it's ridiculous because it's a confined space and they have to use a tripod setup, ventilation, etc just to go down in the pit to splice/unsplice cords when they change a pump. I agree. Keep it above grade and all the safety issues go away.

oldsparky52

I just had a public works employee last week ask me to quote him an external above grade junction box with a sleeve through the wet well lid.

They currently have an explosion proof junction box down in the wet well where they splice the cords in.

He told me it's ridiculous because it's a confined space and they have to use a tripod setup, ventilation, etc just to go down in the pit to splice/unsplice cords when they change a pump. I agree. Keep it above grade and all the safety issues go away.
Sounds like the whole electrical installation needs to be reworked.

Status
Not open for further replies.