"splice" into LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee

Is there a fitting that allows me to run a new conduit into an existing conduit run? Without re-pulling the existing wires, so i wouldn't want to cut the conduit.
My idea would be to somehow replace the cover off an existing LB and add some special "box" there........

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
So you're looking for an extension ring with hubs...for an LB.

I've never seen such a thing. Google didn't readily come up with anything actually relevant. You can do this with a proper j-box but not a conduit body.

Carultch

Is there a fitting that allows me to run a new conduit into an existing conduit run? Without re-pulling the existing wires, so i wouldn't want to cut the conduit.
My idea would be to somehow replace the cover off an existing LB and add some special "box" there........

There are ways you can cut the conduit, without re-pulling the cable. Such as using a chain cutter for the conduit and taking extra care to avoid cutting thru the wiring. You will need to plan on splicing the wires, once you are complete, because those wires will have to pass thru new fittings to connect to the entries of the new junction box.

So you're looking for an extension ring with hubs...for an LB.

I've never seen such a thing. Google didn't readily come up with anything actually relevant. You can do this with a proper j-box but not a conduit body.

For arguments sake.....is there any reason one couldnt take a metal box and cut out an opening to match the opening of the LB? I know it seems kinda mongrel, but note it doesnt seem much different than the accepted practice of cutting out a hole (like an actual big hole, not a KO) between two cabinets. Obviously I dont see making a splice/tap in the LB, prolly need to have some slack to pull enough into the box.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
For arguments sake.....is there any reason one couldnt take a metal box and cut out an opening to match the opening of the LB? I know it seems kinda mongrel, but note it doesnt seem much different than the accepted practice of cutting out a hole (like an actual big hole, not a KO) between two cabinets. Obviously I dont see making a splice/tap in the LB, prolly need to have some slack to pull enough into the box.

I guess in a dry location I couldn't point to a violation, unless an inspector wanted to hit you with workmanship. If you're in a location requiring Nema 3R then I don't think it would fly.

kwired

Electron manager
Compliant or not, I have seen say a 2 inch conduit body with drilled hole in a side and enter with a 1/2 or 3/4 conduit.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

short version. no.

how to do it? GRC or EMT?

GRC:
get a C, a T or an X, two 6" nipples, and an ericcson.

however, is it an LB, an LR, or an LL?
you are gonna cut the pipe on one side of the existing
and inadequate condulet, spin on a new one, put the
two 6" nipples with an ericcson in between them next,
then a c condulet, make it all up, and then put wire in
between the two condulets, and make it up.

you may** have issues with wire count doubling in the
condulet, and exceeding the volume.

** who are we kidding? you will have issues with fill.
but, short of repulling the wire, there is no simple solution.
gets done a lot in refineries.

Zee

Fulthrotl, what is an ericcson?

kwired, :roll:

electrofelon and Jben, I was thinking the same removing LB cover and bolting a box to top of LB, ala extension rings.....no good for rain tho ......agreed there. Considerable metal work too, maybe sharp jagged ends at end of it all too..... problem for wire.

Carultch, yeah a pipe cutter to remove a section of conduit...... but leave wire intact..... and two boxes would work with splices and new section of wire between. In this case, it is visible on roof, so it will be unsightly.

LarryFine, gotta be compliant.

Thanks for answers. All good points.

I will replace the (E) 3/4" LB that takes (E) conduit from roof over eave to wall with a two gang, deep, bell box, as it is on a roof. Its just a short section of #10 wire to pull back from inverter to LB..... and then add the new and re pull them both.

Frankly, the box will look uglier than the LB on the roof, but maybe look better than a second conduit all the way home.
Who am i kidding. It is less work. That is is the point.:p

Carultch

Fulthrotl, what is an ericcson?

Erickson is a manufacturer of conduit fittings. Their brand was the original manufacturer of the three-piece coupling (aka Erickson coupling), which allows you to independently rotate two pieces of RMC, as you connect them together. As opposed to rotating conduit A to fit conduit B, like you'd do with a standard RMC coupling.

Status
Not open for further replies.