Splicing feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffdog

I am doing a project for the Bureau of Reclamation that has a 4/0 XHHW copper 480V feeder running 1400' through conduit and J Boxes from the main distribution panel to a sub panel.
To ease the installation, due to so many J-Boxes to pull through, we are proposing to cut and splice in several locations. The splicing will be done using Burndy long barrel compression sleeves and a hypress and covering with heat shrink.
The BOR has come back to us and said this is not acceptable and does "not follow standard installation practices".
I have never heard of this. Has anyone else?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Splicing feeders that way is done everyday. We use cold shrinks instead of heat shrinks.

mwm1752

The BOR has come back to us and said this is not acceptable and does "not follow standard installation practices".

Do they have a special definition or document for "Standard Installation Practices" other than wiring methods compliant with the NEC?

lielec11

They may have supplemental standards or codes that they assume you are aware of. I'd request documentation if they indeed do have something like this. Other than that there is nothing wrong with doing it that way. They may not like spliced feeders vs. more continuous runs.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I am doing a project for the Bureau of Reclamation that has a 4/0 XHHW copper 480V feeder running 1400' through conduit and J Boxes from the main distribution panel to a sub panel.
To ease the installation, due to so many J-Boxes to pull through, we are proposing to cut and splice in several locations. The splicing will be done using Burndy long barrel compression sleeves and a hypress and covering with heat shrink.
I have never heard of this. Has anyone else?

burndy long barrels, and panduit HST 1.5 is a UL listed
and approved splice for 600 volts, direct burial, for 4/0 conductors.

the product is expensive... 4' is around $55 or so, but it has a
heat activated sealing adhesive that amounts to vulcanizing
for keeping out moisture.

i'll bet that they come back with a "no splices permitted" thing
buried in one of their specifications, or they want a box like an
edison splice box, with lugs and a frame and busbar in it.

i just set a 2 x 3 x 3' deep concrete box with a traffic cover
for some long feeders, and i'm using the above termination plan.

to keep it tidy, i'm putting two pieces of fiberglass strut across the
opening, and using strut straps with insulating grommets like a plumber
uses for copper pipe, to support the individual conductors. the fiberglass
strut is to prevent any possibility of induction heating by having metal
encircling individual conductors.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
They need to produce these standards for you.

If you bid this job those standards should have been presented or at least referenced in the specifications or else how are you supposed to give a valid bid?

Status
Not open for further replies.