Splicing oversized wires due to voltage drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

I am running 4/0 direct buried cable for a 100 amp feed due to distance. I have not oversized a wire so much that it will not fit the breaker. Do I install a jbox below each panel and make splices to wire that will fit under the breaker?
Thanks

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
There seems to be a other opinions though?
ptonsparky made a good point. It all depends on where the first 100A breaker is, i.e. you can put 4/0AL on a 200A breaker and run it ten feet on up to ten miles or more and not have to use a larger EGC. Put the same wire under a 100A breaker or less and you need to upsize the EGC.

Make sense? Of course not.

What's important is- Why did you upsize to 4/0? What is the connected load? If you need 100A at a great distance from the source then voltage drop is a real concern and the EGC should be upsized.

iwire

Staff member
It is only with 15, 20 & 30 amp circuits that 250.122(B) causes real heartache.

Once you get above those sizes things make much more sense.

arnettda

ptonsparky made a good point. It all depends on where the first 100A breaker is, i.e. you can put 4/0AL on a 200A breaker and run it ten feet on up to ten miles or more and not have to use a larger EGC. Put the same wire under a 100A breaker or less and you need to upsize the EGC.

Make sense? Of course not.

What's important is- Why did you upsize to 4/0? What is the connected load? If you need 100A at a great distance from the source then voltage drop is a real concern and the EGC should be upsized.

60 amp load 560 feet away.

kwired

Electron manager
It is only with 15, 20 & 30 amp circuits that 250.122(B) causes real heartache.

Once you get above those sizes things make much more sense.

It gets better but doesn't go away. Take a 40 amp circuit and increase conductors and you are supposed to increase EGC by same proportion, yet if same ungrounded conductors were part of a 60 amp circuit the EGC could easily be smaller than what may required by the 40 amp circuit.

kwired

Electron manager
Bringing a 4/0 conductor into a space intended for 60 or 100 amp conductors may have wire bending space issues and the reduction may still need be done in a separate enclosure.

iwire

Staff member
It gets better but doesn't go away. Take a 40 amp circuit and increase conductors and you are supposed to increase EGC by same proportion, yet if same ungrounded conductors were part of a 60 amp circuit the EGC could easily be smaller than what may required by the 40 amp circuit.

Did I say it went away?

Do you think I am unaware of the rules?

It just seems every time you quote me it is to correct me over things I did not say

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Arnettda:

Making assumptions.

A 60 amp load would use #4 al. A 100 amp CB would require a #6 al for an EG. Increasing the size of your phase conductors to 4/0 al would require a proportinal increase in size for the EG resulting in a 2/0 Al. 4/0-4/0-2/0 is a typical cable configuration that we bury.

4/0 AL could be protectecd by a 200 Amp CB and only require a #4 AL EG. Table 250.122
4/0 AL SE conductors, #2 Al. Table 250.66

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Did I say it went away?

Do you think I am unaware of the rules?

It just seems every time you quote me it is to correct me over things I did not say

Did it ever occur to you that maybe I was just adding my own $.02 and was talking to the entire forum and not just you?

Sorry for peeing in your Cheerios.

Status
Not open for further replies.