Splicing PV 600v Cable to Thwn Cable.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
What are we using to properly splice THWN to 1k PV Cable in J Boxes? Or what is proper way ?

Thank You in advance
If you don't need the 1kV wire, why use it at all? If you need it on the roof because of DC voltage, you need it all the way to the inverter. Either way, I don't see the reason for the splice. That said, a splice between them is no different from any other splice.

EDIT: Your thread title says 600V PV wire.

Reactions: Zee

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
'Regular' wire nuts aren't rated for more than 600V.

Buchanan splices are a common preference in the solar industry. They seem to be more reliable in NEMA3R boxes on the roof.
His thread title and his question are contradictory about voltage. If his DC voltage requires 1000V wire he should not be splicing it to THWN at all. If it doesn't, then wire nuts should be OK.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
he told us DC runs in one direction and that a Polaris rated for voltage would overheat.

I'm gonna be blunt: That's nonsense.
I have seen one of our Polaris heat up and that could of been with a bad termination.
Yeah stuff happens. It is usually due to installation error, manufacturer defect, or too much ambient heat. In my experience.

I would use Buchanan splices caps with insultors. It's how I was trained and they're the one thing I've yet to see fail.

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Licensed Electrician and General Contractor
I'm gonna be blunt: That's nonsense.

Yeah stuff happens. It is usually due to installation error, manufacturer defect, or too much ambient heat. In my experience.

I would use Buchanan splices caps with insultors. It's how I was trained and they're the one thing I've yet to see fail.

We switched over to using the 1000v rated yellow and red wire nuts from Ideal. They’re expensive but they work great.

Clearly in this case a regular wire but would be fine, but the 1000v versions do make a nicer connection.

Do you use the four way crimp Buchanan tool? I lost mine.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
We switched over to using the 1000v rated yellow and red wire nuts from Ideal. They’re expensive but they work great.

Clearly in this case a regular wire but would be fine, but the 1000v versions do make a nicer connection.

Do you use the four way crimp Buchanan tool? I lost mine.
Those wirenuts are comfortable to work with also I like them for regular uses also