Split bolts or Polaris lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Interesting, can i ask what y'alls' reasoning is? Actually, IMO, if I had to trust a mechanical connector with my life, I would probably choose a split bolt over any other device.
Just never liked them and feel there are much better choices. As far as mechanical connectors where a set screw puts direct pressure on the conductor, I don't like them either. On large equipment, I take the supplied mechanical connectors off and replace them with compression connectors.

Just never liked them and feel there are much better choices. As far as mechanical connectors where a set screw puts direct pressure on the conductor, I don't like them either. On large equipment, I take the supplied mechanical connectors off and replace them with compression connectors.
I never cared for Set screw connectors either, they kind of give me the creeps, particularly when you look closely and see how often the strands get pushed out in different directions and some aren't even tight. I agree split bolts or not super user friendly, but I like the integrity of the joint and the small footprint.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I never cared for Set screw connectors either, they kind of give me the creeps, particularly when you look closely and see how often the strands get pushed out in different directions and some aren't even tight. I agree split bolts or not super user friendly, but I like the integrity of the joint and the small footprint.
Seen a lot where the wires could just be pulled out...yes I know that is mostly on the installer, but ...

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yup certainly installer error. You could have the best in the world solid gold compression connector and the wrong die used or the bolts not tightened.
yes, that is like pretwist or not for wire connectors...both work exactly the same if the installer does it correctly, but it was easier to make the guys pretwist than to get them to correctly install the wirenut without pretwisting.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
Compression lugs work well(and I do use them on very large motors) but I have never had an issue with a split bolt. I can carry a handful of different sizes on my van that cover all the motors I see regularly from 5hp to 75hp. To do the same for Compression lugs I would need 12 lugs for every size of wire imaginable with different size rings so bolts would work on various sized motors. I've never had a split bolt fail, plus I end up wrapping it with 3 different tapes. Nothings pulling out.

Steve16

Occupation
Master electrician
Polaris are great for most splices except in motors. A great deal of my work is in mechanical rooms. I replace at least 4 to 5 motors a year due to loose connections at motors due to Polaris. I never see the same issues with split bolts and tape on peckerheads. I think it has to do with vibration and/or heating and cooling with different metals(Polaris is AL while almost all wire going to a motor is CU). I know two other local ECs that stopped using Polaris in motors for the same reason.
Old timer I used to work with and occasionally still help when I have days off was adamant about using split bolts over polaris/Burndy insulated lugs on motors. I didn't quite agree with him as I heavily prefer the insulated lugs.

Sure enough last year we had to replace the connections on a water company well pump motor with the insulated lugs that burnt up that another EC installed. I didn't question the split bolts again after that

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think this may be somewhat regional....I don't think I ever disconnected a motor in my 40+ years in the field that used split bolts for the connections.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Wish I had a picture of the split bolts in a 100 amp panel someone installed. They apparently replaced the panel, and the wires were too short. They must have had at least 2” of rubber tape and 10 or more wraps of electrical tape on it! LOL!

garbo

On this note, some of those Polaris style of connectors are not for fine stranded wires by themselves. They require an insert and properly torqued.
While on splices in pecker heads years ago we started using T & B crimp Lugs on both the motor leads & wires that feed mist motors from 25 HP & larger because it was very dependable & quicker splice verses a split bolt bugs. We might have broke or tied a record by replacing 3 bad 100 HP motors in 8 hours. One of them was 8' off the ground so we had to use a chain block to hoist motor up. We used some 33 tape then varnished cambric tape then 33 tape. We used grade 5 hex bolts & always replaced the lock washers.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
While on splices in pecker heads years ago we started using T & B crimp Lugs on both the motor leads & wires that feed mist motors from 25 HP & larger because it was very dependable & quicker splice verses a split bolt bugs. We might have broke or tied a record by replacing 3 bad 100 HP motors in 8 hours. One of them was 8' off the ground so we had to use a chain block to hoist motor up. We used some 33 tape then varnished cambric tape then 33 tape. We used grade 5 hex bolts & always replaced the lock washers.
We got away from the use of varnished cambric decades ago. Originally I was taught that it was used to make it easier to get the rubber tape off. We use 130C rubber tape installed per the directions...that is sticky side out, and all you have to do is cut though the tape, and split the whole tape assembly off of the connection using two pliers. The 130C was always followed by 33+. However, if available I will use the silicone filled, re-usable Raychem GelCaps.

kwired

Electron manager
split bolt is a dirty word if used on aluminum and particularly for weather exposed applications - like on service drop connections or similar. Tape them all you want, that just holds what water that gets in for a longer time.

kwired

Electron manager
I Dont see what the issue is or why it would be different than any other connector. I believe they have more surface area contact than most other mechanical connectors.
Probably isn't much different than any other mechanical connector. Compression connectors are the preferred method in this situation. Almost never see those fail without physical abuse being a factor anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.