Split buss residential panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

glene77is

In Virginia, in the late 50's and early 60's, most of our houses were of split buss design.
There was no single "main" breaker, so that cost was avoided.
Back then, no one used much electricity.
I still see them around, and they are hard to sub-panel from.
Best to change it out.

The world is full of 'old' surprises.

jrannis

I like the design. I really dont know why they are no longer made. The six disconnect rule is just a random number, like the old days when we had 42 circuit panels:rolleyes:

Had anyone seen a Delta breaker lately?

TOOL_5150

JRannis,
What do you refer to by "Delta Breaker" ?

thats one of those breakers that takes 2 phases from the panel and the 3rd phase is brought to that breaker to form a 3 phase circuit breaker. it has 4 poles. I think it was used for servicing 1 3phase sevice while the rest of the requirements only needed single/split phase

~Matt

daleuger

What's wrong with joints in panels, Robin?

You have to answer the second part yourself. :D

It's just one of those things I was taught from day one of making up panels to avoid if it could be helped at all, and for some reason it just gets under my skin when I see it now.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's just one of those things I was taught from day one of making up panels to avoid if it could be helped at all, and for some reason it just gets under my skin when I see it now.
It's a general necessity with most service upgrades, because new panels are so much taller than old ones.

daleuger

It's a general necessity with most service upgrades, because new panels are so much taller than old ones.

I realize that type of situation. I've changed out a few services. Hence, the "if it can be helped at all"

So, to answer the other part of my question.....I am just being anal. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.