Split wire on ground bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenje

I was working on a panel where someone had split a #2 stranded equipment grounding conductor and landed it in two different holes on the ground bar. I looked in the 2014 NEC and could not find the code reference number that addresses this violation? Any help would be appreciated.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Well, for one thing the holes in the bar are rated to terminate a range of sizes and stranding of wire.
Each part of the #2 does not fit in any of those rated categories. It is not a UL listed wire type once it has been split.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They should have used one of these:

d33048f8-8dbc-4360-b1a2-a341d2795575_300.jpg

JFletcher

They should have used one of these:

d33048f8-8dbc-4360-b1a2-a341d2795575_300.jpg

Great idea, tho how would we know if the panel lugs/ground bus bars are rated to accept those adapters? If a terminal said "solid or stranded wire only", could one still use that adapter? I'd think one made for a bored hole like on a ground bar would have half-round lugs. :?

kwired

Electron manager
I was working on a panel where someone had split a #2 stranded equipment grounding conductor and landed it in two different holes on the ground bar. I looked in the 2014 NEC and could not find the code reference number that addresses this violation? Any help would be appreciated.
NEC does not directly address this specific situation. But one could still cite 110.3(B) because likely the instructions that are part of the listing will not allow such a practice.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Great idea, tho how would we know if the panel lugs/ground bus bars are rated to accept those adapters? If a terminal said "solid or stranded wire only", could one still use that adapter? I'd think one made for a bored hole like on a ground bar would have half-round lugs. :?
Each manufacturer will have their own version of an 'add a lug' for their busses, none of them are exactly alike. If the lug fits you must have it right is a pretty good rule of thumb.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Each manufacturer will have their own version of an 'add a lug' for their busses, none of them are exactly alike.

I agree for listing purposes it should be made for the specific bus bar it's going into. In reality if it fits it will work even if it's not specifically listed.

iwire

Staff member
I agree for listing purposes it should be made for the specific bus bar it's going into. In reality if it fits it will work even if it's not specifically listed.

But also in reality using the wrong add a lug is the exact same violation as splitting the conductors.

The only difference is one method looks correct and the other does not.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
But also in reality using the wrong add a lug is the exact same violation as splitting the conductors.

The only difference is one method looks correct and the other does not.

True that's why I prefaced that statement by saying to use one that's listed for the panel involved. ;)

iwire

Staff member
True that's why I prefaced that statement by saying to use one that's listed for the panel involved. ;)

Not trying to give you a hard time. :)

Its just funny how most of us would have an issue with splitting the conductor but no issue with the add a lug yet if we really think about it splitting the conductor likely results in a better connection than using the add a lug.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Its just funny how most of us would have an issue with splitting the conductor but no issue with the add a lug yet if we really think about it splitting the conductor likely results in a better connection than using the add a lug.

I agree. If you ever use SEU cable you take the outer strands and twist them together to connect to the neutral terminal which is perfectly acceptable. I've seen some of those terminations that look horrible but are code compliant. :D

kwired

Electron manager
I agree. If you ever use SEU cable you take the outer strands and twist them together to connect to the neutral terminal which is perfectly acceptable. I've seen some of those terminations that look horrible but are code compliant. :D

Can you take a 19 strands of SE cable neutral conductor (or however many there may be) and land them in 19 slots on the neutral bus?:cool:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Can you take a 19 strands of SE cable neutral conductor (or however many there may be) and land them in 19 slots on the neutral bus?:cool:

I doubt it, since the wire size would probably be too small for the holes. :angel:

And if you consider this to be parallel conductors and used two slots you would have to have 9.5 strands in each hole. :angel:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We don't know what the ampacity of the double lug prongs. It may be that each one is rated for the wire size given in which case it is not the same as splitting the wire.

I don't believe that the split wire is a major danger however it is not compliant.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Not trying to give you a hard time. :)

Now your starting to get into the National Electric Code vs the What's on the Truck Code. That's a dicey area.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
You don't even need the split lug style for 2awg. This type would work just as well. But as long as you use a lug from the same manufacturer no-one should question the legitimacy.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
You don't even need the split lug style for 2awg. This type would work just as well. But as long as you use a lug from the same manufacturer no-one should question the legitimacy.

You are correct, but I have found them to be a PITA. If the screw to the bus comes loose while you are tightening the screw for the conductor, you have to pull the conductor back out to get to the screw that loosened up, and they almost always do.

Status
Not open for further replies.