Split wired Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

gndrod

Mike01 said:
How can you wire a dishwasher and a disposal on a split wire DEDICATED 20A circuit, I could understand using a single outlet two breakers, but I believe with the rating of the garbage disposal and dishwasher you would exceed even the 20A rated circuit breaker?

Hi Mike01,

That is common and usually found in quickfixer remods for sure. I have seen this on 15A circuits and have changed the disposer/dishwasher to an interlocked switch arrangement where only one load will function at any one time. Not the best answer but stops panel trips. rbj

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I will either use a single 20a circuit or individual 15a circuits for the two appliances. I've never seen a residential D/W or disp. that was too large a load to share a 20a circuit with the other.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
LarryFine said:
I will either use a single 20a circuit or individual 15a circuits for the two appliances. I've never seen a residential D/W or disp. that was too large a load to share a 20a circuit with the other.

And if you did find one it would never trip the breaker because the disposal is generally on for 10-15 seconds at a time.

KSue

Anyway.

Anyway.

e57 said:
Yes I guess you will be.... Two topics in two years - both the same??? How bizarre?!?

Yes, and look how much more information about the same topic has come out. My evaluation is that the forum has more knowledgeable users now, so, to all of you who responed, much thanks!:D

By the way, November 2007 - May 2008 is < 2 years. By a lot.:wink:

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
Minuteman said:
The most common uses for a half hot (split) outlet to me would be for a dishwasher and disposal, or for a low rent apartment living room or bedroom where no ceiling fixture is desired.

I resent that remark! There is nothing low rent at all about my split receptacles!

480sparky

I've put in plenty of split receps for folks who want to be able to turn on/off their Christmas tree lights.

Sorry, that wasn't very PC.

Non-Specific Religeous Winter Holiday lights.

LawnGuyLandSparky

480sparky said:
I've put in plenty of split receps for folks who want to be able to turn on/off their Christmas tree lights.

Sorry, that wasn't very PC.

Non-Specific Religeous Winter Holiday lights.

You got something against Summer?!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
ElectricianJeff said:
Does anybody put the disposal/dishwasher on a 3-way, were only one can be operated at a time? I read about that first here, havn't tried it but have been wondering how thats works out.

Jeff

That would confuse the issue for the homeowner. Why bother. I usually put disposals on with the uc lights or something like that. DW by itself but I cannot imagine having an issue with it. I will say it is probably not code compliant with most dw.

480sparky

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
You got something against Summer?!

What makes you say that?

ElectricianJeff said:
Does anybody put the disposal/dishwasher on a 3-way, were only one can be operated at a time? I read about that first here, havn't tried it but have been wondering how thats works out.

Jeff

Not sure how many folks want to restart their dishwasher whenever they use their disposal while the dishwasher was running....;)

ksvalentine

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
Not really, she has to repeat the class... :grin:

Not really. I had to transfer an AutoCAD steel project to Solidworks for a HPP Contractor. I had to design a 139' catwalk loadout for a railcar system. Had nothing to do with electrical concepts. I just finished the project, and submitted it for conditional use review and permitting. Anyone else want to know my excuse for picking up where I left off, send me a PM.:rolleyes:

If anyone wants to see the efile, I'll email to you. Must have eDrawings viewer installed though. It's free on the internet.

Last edited:

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
ElectricianJeff said:

Jeff

Badly? If you want to turn off power to the dishwasher, you have to use the garbage disposal.

ksvalentine

gndrod said:
Hi ksvalentine,

Interestingly enough, should a multi-wired receptacle be mentioned, it is not a half-hot but a duplex receptacle with two branch circuits that may be switched separately on the same yoke. The neutral may be shared and in some cases (rare) have individual neutrals that must not be common to each other on the same yoke due to net current. The single split-wired branch circuit half-hot does not have the net current anomaly. rbj

That makes sense. If I install a terminating receptacle on a single circuit, the whole device is energized, then I can use either the top or bottom to energize a lamp and a clock, right?

So if I had two circuits for the same yoke, then the neutral would be shared on a non-terminating receptacle? I don't know if I'm using the terminology correctly, so please correct my errors.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
tallgirl said:
Badly? If you want to turn off power to the dishwasher, you have to use the garbage disposal.

That's funny but the dw can be controlled by the switches on the unit or just open the door. I think the 3 way would normally be in the position for the dw and when you want to use the disposal you would have to flip the switch. Of course then you may have to reset the dw. Not a good plan.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
ksvalentine said:
That makes sense. If I install a terminating receptacle on a single circuit, the whole device is energized, then I can use either the top or bottom to energize a lamp and a clock, right?

So if I had two circuits for the same yoke, then the neutral would be shared on a non-terminating receptacle? I don't know if I'm using the terminology correctly, so please correct my errors.

Not sure what you are saying here. what do you mean by a terminating recep?

A receptacle has 4 terminal -- 2 for the neutral and 2 for the hots. Fed in and fed out if you will. The pair of screws on the side is joined to the other screw with a jumper of metal. To half switch the device you would just break the tab between the 2 hot conductors. One is hot all the time and the other can be switched. The neutral conductors stay with the jumper unless you have two different circuits that are not a MWBC. In that case you would break the tab on the neutrals also.

ksvalentine

Dennis Alwon said:
Not sure what you are saying here. what do you mean by a terminating recep?

A receptacle has 4 terminal -- 2 for the neutral and 2 for the hots. Fed in and fed out if you will. The pair of screws on the side is joined to the other screw with a jumper of metal. To half switch the device you would just break the tab between the 2 hot conductors. One is hot all the time and the other can be switched. The neutral conductors stay with the jumper unless you have two different circuits that are not a MWBC. In that case you would break the tab on the neutrals also.

Yah, like you said. I didn't know about "breaking the tab". Gawd do I have a long way to go.

So if the tab wasn't broken the circuit wired to the top two terminals, and the second circuit wired to the bottom two terminals would cause the neutrals to be shared. I just didn't know about "breaking the tab."

Thanks much. Everyone's patience on this is very much appreciated.:wink:

Oh, I meant the last receptacle in a circuit, with the 'tabs not broken'.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Next time you are in Home depot or a hardware store pick up a receptacle.
A picture is worth a 1000 words

A little hard to see here but you may get the idea.
Receptacle5362.jpg

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
ksvalentine said:
So if the tab wasn't broken the circuit wired to the top two terminals, and the second circuit wired to the bottom two terminals would cause the neutrals to be shared.

No, if the ungrounded tab wasn't broke it means you would have a bolted fault and maybe one live circuit with a grounded conductor, there wouldn't be a neutral at all.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.