Splitting plastic bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamBam9109

New User
Occupation
Un-Informed Foreman
I am running a corrections job, where basically the previous company came in and did a bad job. We have to install 1M+ plastic bushings in panels and I am wondering if it a code violation to split them rather than pulling all of those wires off each breaker.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It probably isn't to code since you are modifying the product. However, I would run it by the authority having jurisdiction as they may be fine with it.

They do make split bushings --- This one is nylon

1664479877814.png

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Has someone been spying on me?
Just today I put a service in and I fed the conductors in from the meter and had some "uninvited" help pull them on into the panel.
I guess I was just distracted when I landed the conductors. When I was picking up my tools I found the bushing lying on the floor away from the panel. I had a hard enough time landing them so I didn't want to go through that again. Some how the bushing got split on one side. I hated to waste a good bushing so I carefully placed it on the male adapter and carefully repacked the duct seal which landed on the bushing as well!:whistle:

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Has someone been spying on me?
Just today I put a service in and I fed the conductors in from the meter and had some "uninvited" help pull them on into the panel.
I guess I was just distracted when I landed the conductors. When I was picking up my tools I found the bushing lying on the floor away from the panel. I had a hard enough time landing them so I didn't want to go through that again. Some how the bushing got split on one side. I hated to waste a good bushing so I carefully placed it on the male adapter and carefully repacked the duct seal which landed on the bushing as well!:whistle:
It's legit if no one else sees it;)

Todd0x1

1M+ plastic

Is that a type of bushing or a million bushings?

If he's buying 1 million bushings, im buying an injection molding machine (do plastic bushings have to be listed?) and selling bushings for cheap -1 million pc minimum order qty.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since they make a suitable product for this purpose IMO it's a violation to cut the bushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.