Spot the Violations...YouTube Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

I got diverted from another post onto YouTube videos. I am sure many have seen [url=""http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDyvcM0gcVs&feature=related]these[/url], but it is amazing what is out there doing so much harm to the industry. I do not know what is worse, that these videos exist, or that I can easily see somebody (through no fault of their own) taking this as expert installations.

frizbeedog

Stop the madness....or not.

Stop the madness....or not.

Many of these DIY videos on YouTube have a place for a person to rate the video... As Electrical proffesionals we could spend some time rating them and explain to future viewers why they suck. And why those are bad examples. Or....wait for the service calls to come in and make a buck or two. :D

There are some violations I saw, but I'll let others have some fun.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
About the only thing I saw that aroused my interest was the ineffective manner the information was presented (five minutes long?), and that he said the grounds were just "twisted together." Other than that, I don't see much to get me really worked up, myself. :)

I've got to say that I was not overly offended by that one. If you read through the comments he addresses the fact that the 3 wire was indeed 12 ga just like the feed and sl. A lot of people on this site are dead set against any DIY but I have certainly dabbled outside of my trade in my own home. He stated at the beginning that the setup he had was the simplest setup and alluded to the fact there were other configurations. While I don't think that his work was the pinnacle of the electrical world, it could have been much worse. For example that link you posted to the woman putting in the receptacle. Now that's the kind of thing that is going to get someone hurt.

360Youth

ishium 80439 said:
I've got to say that I was not overly offended by that one. If you read through the comments he addresses the fact that the 3 wire was indeed 12 ga just like the feed and sl. A lot of people on this site are dead set against any DIY but I have certainly dabbled outside of my trade in my own home. He stated at the beginning that the setup he had was the simplest setup and alluded to the fact there were other configurations. While I don't think that his work was the pinnacle of the electrical world, it could have been much worse.

DIY does not bother me, but the electrical industry is a dangerous DIY. Just as much for the code issues as for safety. Way too much for 5 minute videos. I'll get over it soon enough. :smile:

Edit to add: Oops, forgot a few things. Even though I usually wire SL and power in the same box with a "dend-end" 3-way at the other end, I wil agree that this set-up is the more basic to explain, because colors remain the same through out and commons stay in the same box. I did not understand the ramifications of, in some cases, "your travelers may both be black". I had to chuckle a little because he opened with "never" having 3-ways that close together, because the house I am doing now has two such 3-ways on each side of the master bed.

ishium 80439 said:
For example that link you posted to the woman putting in the receptacle. Now that's the kind of thing that is going to get someone hurt.

That one plain got on my nerves. She sounded like she was reading it out the RD condensed version as she was talking. :rolleyes:

georgestolz said:
About the only thing I saw that aroused my interest was the ineffective manner the information was presented (five minutes long?), and that he said the grounds were just "twisted together." Other than that, I don't see much to get me really worked up, myself. :)

I did catch that there was no mention of a crimp/wire nut connection to the grounds. As I mentioned above, I did not catch that the "white" wire and "yellow" wire were both 12AWG. I did not like the NM being called a wire (instead of cable), although, I say all the time that I need some "14-2 wire" all the time. :smile: :rolleyes: because it became confused wether he was talking about the neutral/traveler conductor or the 3-wire. (See, there I go again :wink: )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.