Spray Booth Classification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerjwillelec

Occupation
Master Electrician
I have a friend who is starting a cabinet/furniture building business in his garage. He will have a spray booth for finishing his products. The booth is approximately 12' x 8' x 8.5' and will need exhaust and good lighting.

Two questions: What would the classification of this room be? What type of lights and exhaust fans have y'all used in an application like this?

Thank you!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
you friend may find that it may be more cost effective to just buy a spray booth rather than trying to cobble something up. they are surprisingly cost effective.

retire09

Is this garage attached to a residence?
Are there gas appliances in the garage?
Exhaust/ventilation system?
Rated separation walls or fire distance to other structures?
There are a number of building and zoning code issues when using a residential garage for a commercial purpose.
If you have changed the use and occupancy of the garage it may require substantial upgrades to comply with the new use.
I would suggest you look at far more than just the spray booth issue.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Beyond the good advice already given by others, I suggest a thorough review of NFPA 33, NFPA 34 and NFPA 91 as referenced in Section 516.1's FPN/IN.

These may or may not be directly adopted locally; still, don't ignore them. The home's insurance company or applicable State or FedOSHA, if the owner has any employees (including family) can still enforce them.

Status
Not open for further replies.