Spray booth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Went and looked at a motor on top of a spray room last night, and it was controlled by a door switch for entering/exiting the spray room.

Sadly I never paid enough attention to notice wether the spray room was a open face or or totally enclosed. As it was late and just trying to figure out motor overload condition.

But after checking about classifications for spray booths/rooms I see that outside any opening of a closed top open face spray location or totally enclosed. There is to be a 3ft radius of Class1 Div2 around the perimeter of any opening/door.

So with that being said, after seeing the motor and switch to start it (right above man door). The switch needs to be rated for that classified location and correct wiring method until completely out of the classified location with boundary seal correct?

I did not install this but have some additional work at this location and would like to correct any wrongs directly related to any of our work area.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

So with that being said, after seeing the motor and switch to start it (right above man door). The switch needs to be rated for that classified location and correct wiring method until completely out of the classified location with boundary seal correct?
That's basically correct. You may find the motor and switch are already suitable for Division 2. A boundary seal is necessary, but it does not need to be explosionproof.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
That's basically correct. You may find the motor and switch are already suitable for Division 2. A boundary seal is necessary, but it does not need to be explosionproof.
Thank you, as you said I’m sure the original motor and door switch are suitable for the classification.

Although they do not have original motor to run the exhaust, and I do not believe it is suitable as it has built in overload and reset switch. But from what I read it should be well out of the boundary of the class1 division2 location.

All’s they have from door switch which is in classified location, to the motor junction box is standard MC cable with no seal.

I read MC is permitted in Class1 Div2 locations with listed fittings. I’ve used the cable glands so seal a cable for MC-HL cable, but do they make a sealing gland for standard MC cable?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Type MC (and any variation thereof) is suitable for Class I, Division 2. Type MC - HL is an excellent choice. If it is sealed at its Division 2 termination, no boundary seal is necessary. See Sections 501.15(E)(1) & (3).

Status
Not open for further replies.