Spray Foam & Romex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So hoping I can get a little help/advice here.

Had my attic ceiling spray foam insulation done. All along the perimeter it becomes pretty tights. I had a bunch romex run along the rafters which they completely covered with the spray foam. I mean like 4+ inches of spray foam encapsulating the romex cables.

Is this dangerous and could this cause overheating. They said they do this all the time. Thanks.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
So hoping I can get a little help/advice here.

Had my attic ceiling spray foam insulation done. All along the perimeter it becomes pretty tights. I had a bunch romex run along the rafters which they completely covered with the spray foam. I mean like 4+ inches of spray foam encapsulating the romex cables.

Is this dangerous and could this cause overheating. They said they do this all the time. Thanks.
I wouldn't worry about it a bit.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I had mine insulated like that a few years ago also.
Same scenario.
Didn’t consider it a problem because the interior of the attic was about 140f. The spray foam encapsulating the romex is keeping it cooler now

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I think any concern over foam use and NM related to heating on the conductors may have some merit dont know for sure, but fiberglass batting or even blown in has air movement throughout the wiring space and even around the boxes. That air movement is why the change to foaming for energy code compliance, but I also think it is another cause of "sick home" syndrome that is becoming more common from lack of fresh air.

Rant alert!
Good luck having to change anything after spray foaming has been done. I've even seen substantial infiltration of foam into the blue boxes used for NM.
Try to explain to HO when they ask for another outlet be put in and how long it'll now take after foaming done and that foam will need to be dug out to make that change.
I swear some of these guys go out of their way to get coverage onto the wire that are set up for lighting drops that isn't even close to the roofline that they are spraying. I've even found protector plates laying on the floor after the foam guy shaves the excess foam from the wall (now where was that wire that needed the plate?).
Really bad on older home renovation that is only 2x4 construction, been told the only way they meet the energy code requirements is with cavity completely filled with foam.
Any ideas that makes it easier to make changes or additions after foaming done? Or do we need to start wiring after the foam guys are done? Or start piping everything on insulated walls or ceilings?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I understand there is probably little or no impact on the cable(s) regarding insulation value. However, you'll always get that ONE EI that will tell you that there may be a "chemical reaction" of the foam when in contact with the cable and whether you have any documentation stating that it doesn't have that reaction. I sometimes get the same question when I use a silicone sealer where SE cable enters the top of a meter pan instead of using duct seal. I simply ask them to cite a Code section.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Any ideas that makes it easier to make changes or additions after foaming done? Or do we need to start wiring after the foam guys are done? Or start piping everything on insulated walls or ceilings?
Conduit is the only real future-proofing.

Status
Not open for further replies.