SQ D homline feed through breaker location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek4325

Occupation
Electrician
The obvious answer is install at the top. However I dont know what to do here. I have a 200A homeline meter main 20 space that is going to feed through to a 200A subpanel inside the house. Sub feed wires will go through the bottom of the meter /Main via conduit. The feed through breaker has the lugs angled to where you would want to install on the right side of the panel. I also plan on installing a generator breaker with an interlock kit that requires the top 2 spaces on the right side. To complicate things further i will be installing a surge protector breaker that also needs to be placed as close to the main as possible. What do you guys suggest? Thanks in advance.

kwired

Electron manager
Doesn't the meter/main just have feed through lugs, no breaker, and they are protected by the main breaker?
with 20 spaces I kind of doubt it. I don't know if they have such a critter with meter socket but the plain load centers that do have feed through lugs are only available in an 8 space version that I am aware of and in a 3R cabinet.

I'm guessing he is plugging on a 200 amp branch/feeder breaker that takes up 2 spaces per pole. I don't know if they have a 200 amp version available but I think they do make a sub feed lug assembly that is rated either 100 or 125 amps.

That 200 amp breaker likely cost about as much as his meter/loadcenter does.

Derek4325

Occupation
Electrician
with 20 spaces I kind of doubt it. I don't know if they have such a critter with meter socket but the plain load centers that do have feed through lugs are only available in an 8 space version that I am aware of and in a 3R cabinet.

I'm guessing he is plugging on a 200 amp branch/feeder breaker that takes up 2 spaces per pole. I don't know if they have a 200 amp version available but I think they do make a sub feed lug assembly that is rated either 100 or 125 amps.

That 200 amp breaker likely cost about as much as his meter/loadcenter does.
True statement about cost, but they have 2 options for feed through that would suit my needs. One is a 200A breaker, and the other is a sub feed lug assembley thats rated for 225A. The 200A has a disconnect means and the 225 does not (depends on the main breaker for overcurrent protection) both units take up 4 breaker spaces and cost around the same.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The feed through breaker has the lugs angled to where you would want to install on the right side of the panel.
And then wouldn't the conductor routing end up interfering with any breaker spaces below that?

Seems like the obvious arrangement is feed-thru breaker/lugs at the bottom right, interlocked breaker at the top right, and SPD at the top left. That accounts for 8 of your 20 spaces, leaving 12 available.

Cheers, Wayne

Derek4325

Occupation
Electrician
And then wouldn't the conductor routing end up interfering with any breaker spaces below that?

Seems like the obvious arrangement is feed-thru breaker/lugs at the bottom right, interlocked breaker at the top right, and SPD at the top left. That accounts for 8 of your 20 spaces, leaving 12 available.

Cheers, Wayne
Prehaps you're correct, i didnt give any thought about the conductors being of the way of the potiental circuits below. I just know it's a good rule of thumb to install your heavier loads as close to the main as possible, however that might just not be a possibility.

kwired

Electron manager
True statement about cost, but they have 2 options for feed through that would suit my needs. One is a 200A breaker, and the other is a sub feed lug assembley thats rated for 225A. The 200A has a disconnect means and the 225 does not (depends on the main breaker for overcurrent protection) both units take up 4 breaker spaces and cost around the same.
I was pretty certain there was 225 sub feed lugs for QO but was not certain about Homeline.

kwired

Electron manager
Prehaps you're correct, i didnt give any thought about the conductors being of the way of the potiental circuits below. I just know it's a good rule of thumb to install your heavier loads as close to the main as possible, however that might just not be a possibility.
Think that is more myth than fact. The bus is rated to carry the load. If you go with a panel that has feed through lugs attached directly to the bus they are always on opposite end of the main lugs/main breaker and the full length of the bus always carries the current plus current from any other breakers plugged on/bolted on.

Derek4325

Occupation
Electrician
Think that is more myth than fact. The bus is rated to carry the load. If you go with a panel that has feed through lugs attached directly to the bus they are always on opposite end of the main lugs/main breaker and the full length of the bus always carries the current plus current from any other breakers plugged on/bolted on.
You're right that does make sense. I'll be installing on the bottom right then.
I was pretty certain there was 225 sub feed lugs for QO but was not certain about Homeline.
Sub feed lugs are available for the homeline series. Part number HOML2225

Status
Not open for further replies.