SQ FT $$$...$100 per sq. ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I know it's hard to say as there are many factors/requirements that determine what a sq ft. price should be but I was just curious. For a commercial project with the following systems.

1. Lighting(nothing fancy)- furnished by others.
2. Standard Wiring devices
3. Feeders & Panels
3. Fire Alarm
4. Lighting Control(furnsished by others)
5. 600kw Generator
6. Security System

It's about 120square feet and 3 stories. It is set screw. Would you say that $100 per square foot is high? Don't worry guys:D I'm not involved in this job jkust curious and trying to get some insight.

growler

5. 600kw Generator

It's about 120square feet and 3 stories. It is set screw. Would you say that $100 per square foot is high?

I am probably missing something here "but" 120 sq ft at $100 a sq ft is only $12K.
:?
How much is just the generator going to cost?

Now if we are talking about 120K sq ft things start to look a little better.

That's why the sq ft method doesn't work, you first have to figure out what the job will cost and then divide by the number of sq ft to get a sq ft cost.

satcom

I know it's hard to say as there are many factors/requirements that determine what a sq ft. price should be but I was just curious. For a commercial project with the following systems.

1. Lighting(nothing fancy)- furnished by others.
2. Standard Wiring devices
3. Feeders & Panels
3. Fire Alarm
4. Lighting Control(furnsished by others)
5. 600kw Generator
6. Security System

It's about 120square feet and 3 stories. It is set screw. Would you say that $100 per square foot is high? Don't worry guys:D I'm not involved in this job jkust curious and trying to get some insight.

Estimate the job with a detailed plan set, and count every nut bolt and screw, and consider all the job conditions that may rock the boat, then after you establish a firm cost for the job assign a square figure, or you may prefer to purchase an estimating crystal ball, and a recent book on how to loose money contracting.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I am probably missing something here "but" 120 sq ft at $100 a sq ft is only $12K.
:?
How much is just the generator going to cost?

Now if we are talking about 120K sq ft things start to look a little better.

That's why the sq ft method doesn't work, you first have to figure out what the job will cost and then divide by the number of sq ft to get a sq ft cost.

yes, sorry 120K sq. ft.

cdslotz

Where did you come up with $100/ft?
I mean, dude, that's way high, especially with owner furnished lighting. You are just guessing.
The only way square-footing gets you in the ballpark, is having tons of data from previous bids that were hard bid from detailed takeoff.
I can tell you how much a typical hospital, school, church, office, medical office, warehouse, etc by looking at that data.
If you don't have that data, you need to do a takeoff or at least work up a spreadsheet and apply buget values for all systems.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Where did you come up with $100/ft?
I mean, dude, that's way high, especially with owner furnished lighting. You are just guessing.
The only way square-footing gets you in the ballpark, is having tons of data from previous bids that were hard bid from detailed takeoff.
I can tell you how much a typical hospital, school, church, office, medical office, warehouse, etc by looking at that data.
If you don't have that data, you need to do a takeoff or at least work up a spreadsheet and apply buget values for all systems.

THIS IS NOT SOMETHING I AM INVOLVED IN...HONEST:thumbsup:. I just saw heard/saw someone here put in a price that came to $100 sq ft. ... REALLY!!! So I was very curious about that. I know, with owner furnished items it should lower....Crazy.

CopperTone

THIS IS NOT SOMETHING I AM INVOLVED IN...HONEST:thumbsup:. I just saw heard/saw someone here put in a price that came to $100 sq ft. ... REALLY!!! So I was very curious about that. I know, with owner furnished items it should lower....Crazy.

YOU CANNOT ESTIMATE ELECTRICAL WORK BY THE SQUARE FOOT.

you can do a take off of everything electrical that needs to be installed and then you could work backwards and divide your price by the amount of sq ft in the building and get "A" number - but - that number is no good for the next building unless it is the same exact building.

I hate these sq ft questions. how many recessed lights are in a sq ft? how many switches are in a sq foot? how much wire can you fit into a sq ft? how many amps and volts fit into a sq ft? how much AC can you fit into a sq ft?

does a 3 car garage count in the square footage of a house? does that mean you wire the garage for free?

give us all a break please. I'm not trying to be rude - this is simply not the way to estimate electrical work.

CopperTone

OP did not say he was estimating this way, he was asking about this method and its pricing.

ok sorry, to answer the question - it can't be done.

the person who reviewed the bids divided the price by the sq ft of the building and used that sq ft number to run off at the mouth of how expensive the bid was. The electrical contractor did not use a sq ft method to arrive at his price.

Gc's will come up with a sq ft number because that is how they think in building terms - they cannot picture electrical systems as separate items - they think in terms of sq ft - helps them wrap their heads around electrical bids and makes them feel wicked smart.

cdslotz

YOU CANNOT ESTIMATE ELECTRICAL WORK BY THE SQUARE FOOT.

you can do a take off of everything electrical that needs to be installed and then you could work backwards and divide your price by the amount of sq ft in the building and get "A" number - but - that number is no good for the next building unless it is the same exact building.

I hate these sq ft questions. how many recessed lights are in a sq ft? how many switches are in a sq foot? how much wire can you fit into a sq ft? how many amps and volts fit into a sq ft? how much AC can you fit into a sq ft?

does a 3 car garage count in the square footage of a house? does that mean you wire the garage for free?

give us all a break please. I'm not trying to be rude - this is simply not the way to estimate electrical work.

I am an advocate of always doing a takeoff, but I have been awarded many jobs based on a square/ft BUDGET price, to which I entered into a contract on a "design/assist" basis. This means the EE continues the design and I price as the design moves along. When the design starts to veer off coarse, I point out where the money is and the owner can choose to pay or stay within my budget.
Again, this takes experience and good historical data to sq/ft certain types of buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.