Square D 2-pole GFI Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank_n

I just finished wiring a hot tub (240-volt, 3-wire) hot tub. When I pulled the breaker out of the box, I noticed there was no place to put my neutral wire. The breaker has a neutral wire that connects to the neutral bar, but no neutral connection on the load side. When I saw this, I immediately said it won't work, but I hooked it up anyway. I was right.

Has anyone run across this? I can't think of a reason not to have a neutral connection. Does Square D have a different breaker.

The part number is QO260GFI.

Frank
p.s. Even the illustration shows the breaker without a neutral connection on the 60amp breaker, but with the 50amp breaker.

iwire

Staff member
It would work fine with a straight 240 load, but if the load is 120/240 you need to get a breaker with a neutral connection.

ceb58

I just finished wiring a hot tub (240-volt, 3-wire) hot tub. When I pulled the breaker out of the box, I noticed there was no place to put my neutral wire. The breaker has a neutral wire that connects to the neutral bar, but no neutral connection on the load side. When I saw this, I immediately said it won't work, but I hooked it up anyway. I was right.

Has anyone run across this? I can't think of a reason not to have a neutral connection. Does Square D have a different breaker.

The part number is QO260GFI.

Frank
p.s. Even the illustration shows the breaker without a neutral connection on the 60amp breaker, but with the 50amp breaker.

In your case you did not have a neutral you had an EGC. This is a normal install. The neutral wire on the breaker is for the internal electronics that monitor the phases and the push-to-test button

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Why would Sq D even make a GFI breaker without a neutral load connection? Maybe it's a manufacturing defect, it wouldn't make sense for Sq D to make 2 different 60 amp 2 pole GFI breakers. But I've been wrong before....:roll:

mcclary's electrical

Why would Sq D even make a GFI breaker without a neutral load connection? Maybe it's a manufacturing defect, it wouldn't make sense for Sq D to make 2 different 60 amp 2 pole GFI breakers. But I've been wrong before....:roll:

It's not a defect. Had you bought A GFI, with a load neutral lug,,,,,butyou only had a straight 240 volt load, you would not land anything on that terminal. This is the same thing, without the extra terminal to confuse people. Although, I see it still does.

kbsparky

Square D 2-pole GFI breakers only have a neutral load connection on 50 Amp and smaller units. Their 60 Amp breaker is for 240 Volt loads only.

As you have discovered, there are no operational problems with this configuration on 240 Volt loads.

mcclary's electrical

Square D 2-pole GFI breakers only have a neutral load connection on 50 Amp and smaller units. Their 60 Amp breaker is for 240 Volt loads only.

As you have discovered, there are no operational problems with this configuration on 240 Volt loads.

He must need his neutral, he said it wouldn't work.

frank_n

I have two hots and a neutral for the hot tub, but no place to connect the neutral on the GFI breaker. It doesn't look like Square D makes a breaker with a neutral lug for their 60amp breakers. They do make it on their 15-50amp GFIs. Looks like I am screwed.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Frank, two options:

1. Try a 50a QO GFCI breaker; it'll probably hold just fine, unless tub mandates 60a.

2. A straight 60a 2p QO breaker in the panel, and a 60a GFCI disconnect at the tub.

frank_n

Frank, two options:

1. Try a 50a QO GFCI breaker; it'll probably hold just fine, unless tub mandates 60a.

2. A straight 60a 2p QO breaker in the panel, and a 60a GFCI disconnect at the tub.

I don't think the 50-amp breaker will hold as the tub draws 48 amps.

I already installed a 60amp 2-pole at the panel and a Square D breaker enclosure for the disconnect. I don't want to take out the enclosure and replace it with a Cutler Hammer. (If Cutler Hammer's 60-amp has a neutral connection on the load)

I don't think the 50-amp breaker will hold as the tub draws 48 amps.

I already installed a 60amp 2-pole at the panel and a Square D breaker enclosure for the disconnect. I don't want to take out the enclosure and replace it with a Cutler Hammer. (If Cutler Hammer's 60-amp has a neutral connection on the load)

Yes the CH has a neutral and also I think provision for a outlet.

zappy

I would do like Larry said and try a 50amp BRKR. What do you got to lose? If that don't hold then go to plan B.

GUNNING

read the directions again

read the directions again

Look on the name plate again and see if its 240 or 208 then redo the calculation for your voltage. See if there are any jumpers on the main board to vary device use. Read the directions again.

I have never put in a 60 amp cb for a hot tub they are invariablly a 50 amp or lower. The gfci disconnect is a real good solution.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
A small two circuit sub-panel in a brand that makes a 60 amp two pole GFI breaker with a neutral terminal. Land the feeder to that on a 60 amp QO double pole straight breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.