Square "D" Special Pricing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mule

LarryFine said:
If you probe farther, you'll find that (a) the distributor can't even find the BB stores' SqD cat. no., and (b) the supply houses don't sell the breaker already in the enclosure.

And the BB box stores have the "builder pack" panels that include a selection of brks. The supply house cant get those either, at least thats what they tell me....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Mule said:
And the BB box stores have the "builder pack" panels that include a selection of brks. The supply house cant get those either, at least thats what they tell me....
That's one reason I don't owe the supply houses any favors; they sure haven't done me any.

One thing I do when calling supply houses is ask for inside sales, and not the counter.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've been through all this with the local Square D supplier. They enrolled me in the "special pricing" QO campaign but when I didn't buy what they considered to be A LOT of panels and breakers they took me off without notice. I went in to purchase material just after I was awarded a job only to find out that I had to pay a lot more for the Sq D material than I had figured. This sales program is targeted for large commercial buyers and not small shops doing occasional upgrades.

On another occasion I was in the area of this particular supply house knowing I would be doing a service upgrade in the next day or so. I have an account there and figured I would get better pricing than going to Big Orange. I purchased all SQ D breakers and a main breaker panel from them. As I was riding down the road I started looking at the bill and realized that they charged me a lot more than Big Orange would have charged me. So, I proceeded to the Big Orange store and re-purchased the same material for $100 less. I brought the original material back to the supply house a day or so later and got my $$ back. Haven't been back there in about a year and a half.

While I still think Sq D makes the best breakers on the market I've lost my loyalty to them and will now install whatever panel and breakers meet the job specs., be it language in the specs or $$ in the job. I no longer have a conscience. Parts is parts as long as they're UL listed.:grin:

Brady Electric

Square D Special Pricing

Square D Special Pricing

I agree with all comments on this subject
Everyone does it this way and that's why I keep a good relationship with the counter help and I get very good prices.
Also in order not to get anyone in trouble I usually take time to meet the manager of each supply house and all my prices are good. That way if one man is out all treat you about the same.
I used to go through a salesman but not anymore. I have found by just being friendly everything goes in your favor better.

This form has the best advice overall than anywhere I have ever seen.
Wonder if our government officials know about us?
Semper Fi Buddy

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Mule said:
Is it true that Square "D" reps hold "special pricing" to larger volume contractors, not allowing parts houses to give equal opertunity on job quotes?

I have one parts supplier telling me this. An example would be a local resi guy that wires exclusively with QO and the rep pulled his "Special Pricing" because he didnt meet quota for the year....

Also an example would be Lowes advertises QO2100 breakers localy for $46 while a local supplier says thats below his cost.....I haven't compared AIC ratings but I assume they are the same.....

Parts keep going up up up....

I heard of special prices. My old bosses father installed nothing but QO since he started his business in 1966 and he gets a much better price on there stock than anymore around here

jrannis

I would say that we should support our local supply houses as much as we can, they are part of our trade. They are the ones stocking the 3 and 4 inch conduit and large wire and breakers only for us.
Please dont tell me that isnt worth a bit of loyality. We all complain about people using lowballers and when it comes to us being the customer we are the first to cry.
I only buy at a big box as a last resort.

ultramegabob

jrannis said:
I would say that we should support our local supply houses as much as we can, they are part of our trade. They are the ones stocking the 3 and 4 inch conduit and large wire and breakers only for us.
Please dont tell me that isnt worth a bit of loyality. We all complain about people using lowballers and when it comes to us being the customer we are the first to cry.

The bigger supply houses around here dont keep alot of stock on the shelves these days, they call to their other stores and have it the next day. I have been using a small locally owned lighting salon/electrical supplier for as much as I can, the can get the material in about the same amount of time and I figgure they are spending thier money locally instead of it going into an offshore bank account somewhere.

Mule

jrannis said:

ABSOLUTELY I agree, I can pick up the phone while across town, place my order and they have it waiting for me at the dock. Load, sign, and drive away.
Cant do that at Orange or Blue...

The problem here is sqD not the supply house IMO....So we just have to keep the BB store prices in front of their face....

SEO

jrannis said:
I agree. Try to take a set of plans into a big box store and have them give you a complete take-off on all the electrical equipment for the project. Commercial and industrial work would be completly out of the question.

I think one of the best ways to insure decent prices over the long term is to maintain a good relationship with who ever does your pricing. And don't be afraid to let your primary material source get back burnered for a couple of months if you don't think they are "doing right by you". Use someone else that might be charging the same or within a couple of percent of your primary, then two months later go back to your primary see how they price you then. As far as the bigbox guys go I'm in there all the time for around the house stuff. I recently wrote down a bunch of prices for 60a AC discos, breakers, 20cu nail ons, etc. and my sales guy is adjusting my prices as close as he can get but resi isn't really my main source of revenue. Ultimately though I may buy a couple things in quantity at the depot, I will always aquire a majority of my material from my electrical distrib. Try getting a 600a 3R fusible disco with seismic performance rating

Mule said:
In contrast, I purchased a new QO 150main/30cir rain tight panel the other day from a online person (which will remain nameless) The price INCLUDING shipping via UPS to my door and it was $100 less than my supplier quoted me. Parts house was $384 plus tax and I think I gave $290 w/shipping and no tax...I've only done it once and I can re-order from this guy again, but it frustrates me, when I try to be loyal to a company product and they treat you this way....That's a huge difference over the course of a years worth of installations....He's probably one of those higher volume contractors selling out the back door ?? ;)
Just wait until you have a problem with one of his shipments! The reason you can usually find stuff cheaper on the internet is internet retailers typically have lower overhead, since they don't have a brick and mortar store, a counter, or trained knowledgeable parts slingers on the clock.:roll:

Most commercial retailers do give discounts to certain customers. I know at the auto parts store, they'll give large chains a bigger discount than small local guys, since they can "guarantee" they'll buy more. Wal mart does about the same thing with it's distributors as well. Their inventory tracking system is so elaborate, and they have so much warehouse space, they can go to distributors and say "I'll buy 1 million of those, and pay you now, but I only want to take possession of 250,000 right now, with the next delivery in 3 months...". It's sort of a bulk purchasing agreement, I guess.:cool:

c2500

I was talking to the counter guy at a local supply house yesterday, and he said that CH had finally come off their high horse and was offeing decent pricing to them. Seems like the housing slow down made a difference. He can now sell me a CH breaker cheaper than lowes or depot.

c2500

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
jrannis said:
I would say that we should support our local supply houses as much as we can, they are part of our trade.
I agree, but the key words are "as much as we can". I buy most of my material from supply houses. However, when it comes to things like copper RX cable or breaker panels and breakers where I'm going to save 100's of $$ I'll buy it at the big box store. If the supply house is charging $1.00 or $2.00 extra for a coil of RX I'm not going up the highway to Big Orange for the wire. However, when they are charging $10.00 more for a 250' coil you can bet I'm taking the ride.
They are the ones stocking the 3 and 4 inch conduit and large wire and breakers only for us.
No question about it
Please dont tell me that isnt worth a bit of loyality.
It's worth a lot of loyalty. They special order items for you; they research what products are available to suit your needs, etc. However, I truly believe (at least with the Sq D products) they they are screwing us; and yes, I do believe it's Sq D's fault and not the supply house.
I used to be the same way until I started saving 100's of $$ buying wire at HD. I needed a landscape light last week (a well light to be specific). The supply house only had one in brass with a front grill. They wanted over $200.00 for the item. I drove up the highway to Big Orange and bought one for $27.00 (die cast aluminum). That's a much easier sell to an end user.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
DanZ said:
Just wait until you have a problem with one of his shipments! The reason you can usually find stuff cheaper on the internet is internet retailers typically have lower overhead, since they don't have a brick and mortar store, a counter, or trained knowledgeable parts slingers on the clock.
I can attest to that.

Most commercial retailers do give discounts to certain customers. I know at the auto parts store, they'll give large chains a bigger discount than small local guys, since they can "guarantee" they'll buy more. Wal mart does about the same thing with it's distributors as well. Their inventory tracking system is so elaborate, and they have so much warehouse space, they can go to distributors and say "I'll buy 1 million of those, and pay you now, but I only want to take possession of 250,000 right now, with the next delivery in 3 months...". It's sort of a bulk purchasing agreement, I guess.
That's it in a nut shell.

The reason the big box stores sell so cheaply is because they buy in big bulk quantities as you mentioned. So, when one-man shops go to the supply house and sign up for the Sq D frequent buyer program and then buy 1 panel a month they're booted out of the program. By the same token those who buy 20 panels a month get the best prices (and rightfully so, I might add). The only problem is that Sq D determines WHO the big buyers are. If their "cut-off" number is say 20 panels and you buy 19 - You're out !!!

Mule

Yesterday, I hit my salesman pretty hard with "WHY?" and today he said it looked like they (SqD) were going to be able to give me special pricing....so we'll see.....I put in three panels just last week....But do I trust them? "NO"

C3PO

Mule said:
Yesterday, I hit my salesman pretty hard with "WHY?" and today he said it looked like they (SqD) were going to be able to give me special pricing....so we'll see.....I put in three panels just last week....But do I trust them? "NO"

Stay after your salesman on this. He should be able to make this happen. If you keep pushing him on it he will in turn keep pushing on Square D.

IMHO your salesman should be more proactive about it. I usually talk to SQ D at get the ball rolling first and then go to a customer and say here is what you pay for this panel now, here is what Lowe's charges and here is what you could pay if we set you up on this.

I hope it works out for you. They should be able to make it happen.

Mule

C3PO said:
Stay after your salesman on this. He should be able to make this happen. If you keep pushing him on it he will in turn keep pushing on Square D.

IMHO your salesman should be more proactive about it. I usually talk to SQ D at get the ball rolling first and then go to a customer and say here is what you pay for this panel now, here is what Lowe's charges and here is what you could pay if we set you up on this.

I hope it works out for you. They should be able to make it happen.

"The Proof's in the Puddin" we'll see if its just talk or it really equates to $$

peter d

If I learned one thing from my short time working in the supply business, is that ANY price can be negotiated on any item. You simply have to talk to the right people.

Mule

peter d said:
If I learned one thing from my short time working in the supply business, is that ANY price can be negotiated on any item. You simply have to talk to the right people.

Thanks for the info.....Generally Im the type of person that when you get in my pocket to deep, I wont be back. I shouldnt have to constantly negotiate if Im a loyal customer...That stuff wears me out....

I picked up a tube of "Cheese Wiz" clear Silicone sealer today and threw it up on the counter with the rest of my order. When I got the ticket, it was $15 I about had a cow.....I made him take it off...Told him that stuff will grow dust on the shelf with me.....NO negotiation.....Just Like STL8 $16 for a jar about the size of mustard? come on.... I think if parts house's are going to survive the BB stores in the future, they are going to have to get with the program......They need to share the markup margins with the EC's more....Alot of these supply chains are HUGE Rexel, CED and the like, and you cant tell me they dont have simular buying power as the BB's

Status
Not open for further replies.