Square foot pricing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minuteman

peter d said:
Just remember that is takes years of training to be a good estimator by weight. It takes many reps of lifting a roll of prints to get good at determining the weight/price ratio. :)
It depends on the grade of Vellum. :grin:

benaround

DanZ, I'm starting to catch on now, you give a price to the customer then

you draw up the plans. I can see why the work is coming in. With that kind of

deal, I wouldn't worry to much about sq. ft. pricing !!

benaround said:
DanZ, I'm starting to catch on now, you give a price to the customer then

you draw up the plans. I can see why the work is coming in. With that kind of

deal, I wouldn't worry to much about sq. ft. pricing !!
Pretty much. We do design build, so we try to include everything in the bid. Other than that, we would like to know how much to make the bid! I think (I hope) my boss is starting to see that there's more profit that can be made if we start catching things early. I try not to worry about it, since the company has been around for about 20 years now...

satcom

peter d said:
Just remember that is takes years of training to be a good estimator by weight. It takes many reps of lifting a roll of prints to get good at determining the weight/price ratio. :)

Just remember by the pound, is more accurate then by the square foot.

480sparky

LarryFine said:
It finally dawned on someone that it takes less ink to make the lines dark and the background white.

Actually, the blue in 'blueprints' wasn't ink. It starts out as potassium ferricyanide and ammonium ferric citrate. The chemicals will react with bright light to form ferric ferrocyanide, an insoluble blue pigment. Numerous blueprints could then be made from a master drawing and easily distributed, at a cost much lower than that of conventional photographic reproduction or printing.

The process was developed by Sir John Herschal, a British astronomer, in the mid 1800s.

Last edited:

jmsbrush

480sparky said:
Actually, the blue in 'blueprints' wasn't ink. It's potassium ferricyanide and ammonium ferric citrate. The chemicals will react with bright light to form ferric ferrocyanide, an insoluble blue pigment. Numerous blueprints could then be made from a master drawing and easily distributed, at a cost much lower than that of conventional photographic reproduction or printing.

The process was developed by Sir John Herschal, a British astronomer, in the mid 1800s.
Sparky did you know that, or did you just do a copy and paste? lol

480sparky

jmsbrush said:
Sparky did you know that, or did you just do a copy and paste? lol

I knew it wasn't a printing process, but more like making a photographic print from a negative. So I googled it and did a "Readers' Digest Condensed Version". But yes, some of it was C&P with some editing as well to make it an easyier read.

Edit to add:
iwire said:
I am betting that is from Wikipedia, I was reading about blueprint process there the other day.:smile:

Here's Wikipedias:

The blueprint process is essentially the cyanotype process developed by the British astronomer and photographer Sir John Herschel in 1842.[1] The photosensitive compound, a solution of ferric ammonium citrate and potassium ferricyanide, is coated onto paper. Areas of the compound exposed to strong light are converted to insoluble blue ferric ferrocyanide, or Prussian blue. The soluble chemicals are washed off with water leaving a light-stable print.

A similar process was used to produce printing proofs for offset printing.

Various base materials have been used for blueprints. Paper was a common choice; for more durable prints linen was sometimes used, but with time, the linen prints would shrink slightly. To combat this problem, printing on imitation vellum and, later, mylar was implemented.

Last edited:

jmsbrush

How do you copy and paste from me and Iwire at the same time in the thread, and also have it hi lighted in the blue? OR just taking key words out of someone else's post? I still haven't figured this out?

480sparky

jmsbrush said:
How do you copy and paste from me and Iwire at the same time in the thread, and also have it hi lighted in the blue? OR just taking key words out of someone else's post? I still haven't figured this out?

I clicked on "Quote" from your post. Copy the text as it appears. Then Cancel, go to iwires' post and "Quote" from it. "Paste" your text along with his.

480sparky

You're getting there.

Hint: Choose Preview Post before you Submit Reply. That way, you'll see the extra {Quote} and {/Quote}s before you submit, then you can edit as necessary.

480sparky

jmsbrush said:
sorry about that guys, I have it now. Thank you Sparky

You can even edit a quote if you wish, but just make sure you don't edit it out of context. Here, I just highlighted part of your quote for emphasis only.

Status
Not open for further replies.