Square footage with additional amenities

Status
Not open for further replies.
If typical pricing in that area is based off of a square footage price Highwood additional extras be factored into the price? For instance local average is $3.25 A square foot for residential. You have a home with 22 Can lights\recessed lights, For security lights on two separate circuits a wall pack keystone light and under the counter lighting with silhouette lighting in the cabinets. New construction and have been working in the business as a contractor for several years what is your opinion?

Also 900 ft.² of the home was still encapsulated in drywall and had all the wiring and lights still in place where the lights were removed and packaged and the drywall was cut to replicate a open wall to wire at the same price as an open wall home. We charged almost $900 to do this.

First to to start with this is a fire restoration job for a restoration company that I have done to other jobs for. On both of our jobs the work was estimated and approved based on square footage and the service separate. On this job we had already commenced work and the project manager came in with a folder of photographs and notes with the overall scope of the restoration and started naming all of the extras that I had named previously I had stopped work on it to readjust figures submitted an estimate and he insisted that the work had to proceed big mistake so no one needs to even comment on that. The simple fact is I know it’s not right I don’t understand how he knows or he doesn’t know that there is a difference because he claims to have been a homebuilder building over 100 homes and claimed that everything is based on square footage including the service which is garbage. In my favor I had submitted a mid job quote with part of the home that was completed as a draw which included 1500 ft.² of the home and 22 recessed lights on the payment which I collected 65% of that number. I simply want to know other electrical contractors you have more experience New construction and have been working in the business as a contractor for several years what is your opinion

growler

he claims to have been a homebuilder building over 100 homes and claimed that everything is based on square footage including the service which is garbage.

Do you have a contract? If you have a contract then it's whatever is stated in the signed contract.

growler

I hate to be rude but that’s not really an answer to the question

Have you ever heard of a addendum

I'm sorry but I didn't really understand your question. Yes an addendum is an agreed upon change to a contract.

I think you are asking what would be covered under square foot pricing and I still think that would be determined by the wording of the contract and any additional documents.

In any contract there should be parameters on what is to be done for a fixed price.

If I misunderstand your question I'm sorry and don't wish to be rude.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
That's why you stay away from square footage pricing unless it's brand new cookie cutter construction. Old construction, renovations, restoration, custom, etc- they are only looking to screw you!

-Hal

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Square footage with additional amenities

As far as I know, I’m the only person in my town that doesn’t give “square foot pricing.”

I was talking with another EC about it recently, and asked how that works out for him; he said, “i make out ok on small houses, but I lose money on large custom homes.” I think I had a stroke trying to comprehend that statement.

I’m told the going rate here is $2.80 per foot, plus an $800 “AFCI breaker up-charge.” That blows my mind. But all of the resi guys are driving beat up old work trucks, and paying $10-$15 an hour for help. I have zero interest in that. It’s also no surprise in my service work that we go in new houses every week with a long list of small code violations that are being passed by inspectors here, and generally sloppy work.

When I was an apprentice many years ago, the EC I worked for charged $3.25 per foot, plus $50 per recessed fixture, and $25 for every phone & cable drop. We got called back to a house we’d just finished to add electrical to a bonus room that was built within the attic space; it was 150 square feet. It was a long-time GC, and for whatever reason my boss had us do the work without even quoting it. It involved relocating a lot of NM in the attic to make way for the new floor, and adding a couple of circuits for the new room. 32 hours of labor and roughly $350 in materials. I remember the GC being upset about the bill, saying, “well I already quoted the electrical at $500 based on your square foot price!”

Also, as for the question on extras; the square foot price is “code minimum.” One recep every 12’ on the wall, every 4’ in the kitchen, and one overhead light in a room; that includes smoke detector wiring also. Also electric appliances are included in that price. I’m told if there are multiple HVAC units, there should be enough square feet in the house to cover that cost.

Extras are anything above that; recessed lights, low voltage, etc... But the guys here are including the service, whatever size it may be, in the square foot price.

In my opinion, for whatever it’s worth, the “per device” cost method is the only fair method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

growler

As far as I know, I’m the only person in my town that doesn’t give “square foot pricing.”

I was talking with another EC about it recently, and asked how that works out for him; he said, “i make out ok on small houses, but I lose money on large custom homes.” I think I had a stroke trying to comprehend that statement.

I have herd similar statements made by many different trades working in residential new construction over the years.

The builders tell the trades how much they will pay and it's pretty much take it or leave it.

For a while I was thinking of starting a discussion on "cost to wire a dwelling unit" so Ill just tack it on here since that is being discussed. I did a duplex two years ago, was a smallish house, total gut, split into two units. IIRC, about 1000 sq ft per unit. New 200 amp service, 100A each side, kinda upper end so not code minimum, basic cable jacks, rat trap cans provided by client, everythig else injcluding smokes provided by me. I quoted 8k. I meant to keep track of all my time and materials but as usually happens I start not keeping track half way through. IIRc I made about $35 per hour instead of my goal of $45.

Another one: Slab on grade (mostly) new construction, probably also 1000 sq feet, maybe 1200. Same deal as the duplex (same client, my cousin). But this one was T&M. two bath, two BR, open concept kitchen/DR/LR. It came out kinda high, almost as much as the duplex, 100 hours @45, 3k material. It did require a sewage pump and adding a meter and disconnect in another structure and a 250 foot feeder to get power back there.

So that is quite the variation in cost per sq foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.