SSBJ needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
7446F900-4E00-4B49-AB2B-56F7D12A5E9C.jpeg Is a SSBJ (green conductor) needed in this set up? PVC nipples between meter base to both service disconnects. Neutral bonded at meter base, and both service disconnects of course.

Passed a WV inspection, but than I began to wonder. I can’t think of a reason that it would be needed.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Definitely needed !
Edit: (I thought you were asking about the green wires presently installed)
(The green wires shown are MBJ and needed. NO additional jumper is needed)

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
The service neutral appears to be connected to an isolated neutral bar...not bonded without the green conductor.
That is common in transfer switches which may or may not be service equipment.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
The service neutral appears to be connected to an isolated neutral bar...not bonded without the green conductor.
That is common in transfer switches which may or may not be service equipment.
But there is a System Bonding jumper in each service disconnect connecting the Isolated bar.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The neutral and grounds should be bonded together in both panels as well as the meter. Not sure where you are going with this. The neutral is isolated unless that green conductor is installed to connect it to the can.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
This setup illustrates the advantage of using PVC nipples in this case. The meter neutral is bonded to the can and the discos have a main bonding jumper. Nothing else needs to be done.
I note, however, that the meter can appears to be an under ground feed ONLY as there is a label indicating so. This looks like it has created wire space rules violation as a result. That would get a fail in my book.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
But there is a System Bonding jumper in each service disconnect connecting the Isolated bar.
What "Service Disconnect" are you referencing. The Transfer switches. which are your service disconnects, have isolated neutrals and your green jumper is the MBJ.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
This setup illustrates the advantage of using PVC nipples in this case. The meter neutral is bonded to the can and the discos have a main bonding jumper. Nothing else needs to be done.
I note, however, that the meter can appears to be an under ground feed ONLY as there is a label indicating so. This looks like it has created wire space rules violation as a result. That would get a fail in my book.
I was confused on the bottom feed only as well. Although it came with a hole to mount the hub on top with too. This meter can has a sticker showing made back in 2002 I believe.

Times are tough to get things, we’re lucky to find this one.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
What "Service Disconnect" are you referencing. The Transfer switches. which are your service disconnects, have isolated neutrals and your green jumper is the MBJ.
That’s what I’m referring to and that because of the green jumper the neutral is bonded to the chassis eliminating the redundant green wire going from meter can to service disconnect.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That’s what I’m referring to and that because of the green jumper the neutral is bonded to the chassis eliminating the redundant green wire going from meter can to service disconnect.

Yes there very seldom is a grounding conductor run from the meter base to a panel. The Transfer Switches are indeed the service disconnects and therefore nothing else needs doing. Everything is correct as far as we can see.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
The MBJ must be within the service disconnect enclosure and is correct as shown. You can not use a SSBJ to the meter in this setup as the neutral is bonded in the meter can and would create a violation as you would be intentionally creating a parallel neutral path. Nor could you could use a SSBJ in lieu of the MBJ in the disconnect due to the requirement that the MBJ be within the disconnect enclosure.
Don't mean to pick on you, but that overhead feed on a can clearly marked for underground would be a big issue for me and most AHJs I know of.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That’s what I was kind of thinking but the service neutral is also connected so isn’t there already a fault current return path?
For the meter base, yes: the neutral is bonded to the can, making it part of the neutral, just like SUSE-only mains.

For the ATSs, no: without the green jumpers, the ATS enclosures and the EGCs in the SERs would not be bonded.

Status
Not open for further replies.