Stab Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

boboelectric said:
I was installing dimmers for a customer last week.I was slightly irritated by original installer using the single pole switch as a junction point.
that must of been common in the 70s or so. i see tons of 2+ gang boxes with one pigtail with sections stripped going to each switch. its like that in my house and a lot more houses built in the same era

electricalperson

ItsHot said:
Be careful of these new disconnects on fixture ballast. I installed several new lay in fixtures(luminares) the other day and some of the disconnects where the stranded (bare,exposed) wire was not properly inserted at the factory could have been a stimulation!! Something designed to keep guys safe may end up being even more of a hazard!
we started installing those ideal disconnects. The helpers tend to not push the wires in all the way and they pop out when you put the ballast cover on :mad: i get a little mad for them not checking there work especially when its the 277 volt ungrounded conductor a milimeter from the side of the luminare:-? :-?

electricalperson

HaskinsElectric said:
My helpers have never been able to master the use of wirenuts, so a year ago I switched to Wagos and use them for everything except neutrals on MWBCs and once they accept 2008 in my area I will probably stop running MWBCs. I also 'stab receptacles and switches and have never had a problem.

A lot of these old curmudgeons will tell you that 'stabbing receptacles and wago connectors are result in poor connections but these are just old wives tales.

For every stabbed receptacle that gets replaced, a 100 side wired receptacles get replaced. Do the math and you'll see it's the side wired devices that are causing all the problems.
i wont let any apprentice under me back stab devices. if you feel there is nothing wrong with backstabbing devices then thats fine. im sure you check to make sure its done correctly. All the backstabbed devices i seen were probably installed wrong and thats the reason why they failed. Installer error not design

jrannis

I left in the middle of installing some hihat cans and bought 250 of them. I am not a fan of solid wire, #12 being the worst. I couldnt get the two #12s and the tiny junk stranded fixture wire to work with a twister wirenut.:mad: Those stab connector things changed everything for the better. Were much faster and very secure. :smile:

480sparky

The first time I used them, they came pre-installed in some Halo can lights. I thought they were great until I trimmed the job out and had to spend almost 2 days going from can to can finding all those that had let go. :mad: :mad:

76nemo

HaskinsElectric said:
My helpers have never been able to master the use of wirenuts, so a year ago I switched to Wagos and use them for everything except neutrals on MWBCs and once they accept 2008 in my area I will probably stop running MWBCs. I also 'stab receptacles and switches and have never had a problem.

A lot of these old curmudgeons will tell you that 'stabbing receptacles and wago connectors are result in poor connections but these are just old wives tales.

For every stabbed receptacle that gets replaced, a 100 side wired receptacles get replaced. Do the math and you'll see it's the side wired devices that are causing all the problems.

Okay, point misunderstood. You take the surface contact area of your backstab compared to my screw termination, and still tell me I have an old wives tale installed in my head. Disagree?

480sparky

HaskinsElectric said:

Interesting. Where is your substantiation for this?

Could it be that there are simply 100 side-wired receptacles out there for every one back-stabbed?

I can speak from experience that the only time I have had to replace a side-wired device is because of some failure other than the fact that the screws were used.... overheated due to too much load, the wipers are loose, it got broken.....etc. Devices I have replaced due to a loose termination I can count on one hand the number that used the screws. And possibly it wasn't due to the screw itself, it may have been due to the fact that the original installer just didn't tighten it. That makes it installer error, not a fault of the method itself.

jrannis

480sparky said:
The first time I used them, they came pre-installed in some Halo can lights. I thought they were great until I trimmed the job out and had to spend almost 2 days going from can to can finding all those that had let go. :mad: :mad:

Operator error!

jrannis

76nemo said:
Okay, point misunderstood. You take the surface contact area of your backstab compared to my screw termination, and still tell me I have an old wives tale installed in my head. Disagree?
Now that work is slow Ill bet many wish their were more back stabbed terminations.
I have only seen them in residential use lately due to the #14 restriction placed on them a few years ago.

c2500

When I was having an inspection by the head county inspector, I ask if he had any issue with "Wago" connectors. He said no , they were legal. Gave some to a buddy doing his own house to use for the grounds. That inspector said they were illegal and made him change them all out. You can't win sometimes. Other than that incident I like them and use them occasionally, and have not had any problems.

c2500

76nemo

c2500 said:
When I was having an inspection by the head county inspector, I ask if he had any issue with "Wago" connectors. He said no , they were legal. Gave some to a buddy doing his own house to use for the grounds. That inspector said they were illegal and made him change them all out. You can't win sometimes. Other than that incident I like them and use them occasionally, and have not had any problems.

c2500

Good addition to this c2500. What may work with one, may not work for another.

Utter, utter bologna:mad: Thanks for that story C.

Karl H

I cannot believe that anyone with "Service Experience",Would say that "Wago's" or "Push-in " connectors are reliable.Yes they are great for New Construction,fast and easy.But, when I come in ,the wires you ran are now in use and under full load.Some at full load and that load is continuous.I'm seeing more and more Power Boxes with "Wago" splices and I'm constantly having to remove the Wago's, twist the wires and install a wire nut so that a machine can be put back into service.I have no problem using them in light fixtures but, not for equitment or MWBC's.They may be FAST,and Easy but,are YOU really installing a reliable system? Service guys see all your "Great" and sometimes "Terrible" work. When you work New Construction you have to answer to the GC.When you're in service you have to answer to the customer who paid for the work. The customer is WAY more unforgiving. lol I'm not saying all "Wago" splices fail.I'm saying "Wago's" failing is becoming a common trend in Industrial apps. It may be "Legal" but, so was drinking and driving at one time. lol

jrannis

I dont think I would used them for other than residential outlets and most all lighting applications. Too many unknowns in a commercial enviroment to use them for power or equipment connections.

charlie tuna

i think they have their place, but also need some common sense applications, like many other devices in our trade. the user should understand the possible load conditions the wire connector could see and use the appropriate splice. i am impressed with the "disconnect" connector used in florescent fixtures due to it's easy installation and easy disconnecting ability for a light load. any pressure type wire connector should never be used on aluminum wire in my opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.