Staggering Receptacle Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlaineXD

Hey All,
This is my first post, but I have been utilizing this site all summer for my EE internship, and I just want to say what a help it has been for an aspiring EE major trying to get some real-world experience.

I am currently working on a project "designing" receptacle placement for a rail yard repair shop. This will have an industrial section to it with welders and crane equipment, but also some offices, break rooms, bathroom/ lockerroom, etc. The reason I am asking this question is that I have been told it is good practice to stagger lighting on different circuits (in your panel) so that if a breakers goes, at least some of the lighting in the area will stay on, as opposed to whole sections of the building going out at a time. This makes perfect sense to me. However, I am being told that it doesn't matter when placing receptacles onto the panel schedule. I was wondering if this same general principle of staggering should be applied when designing receptacle layouts? Should receptacles be staggered so that if a breaker opens, not all of the outlets in the same area go out?

iwire

Staff member
Staggering light circuits is common and in my opinion good practice. I see no reason to extend that to receptacles.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I often do show staggered receptacles, but for a different reason than you are describing. In circumstances for which multi-wire branch circuits are allowed, I will generally go around the room with receptacles powered from, in order, circuit 1, then 3, then 5, then 1, then 3, etc. My intent is to balance the loading and to minimize the magnetic field generated within the conduit. It is not a big deal, however, and certainly not a code requirement.

iwire

Staff member
And due to the requirements for handle ties servicing one leg of that circuit requires shutting off all three legs upsetting approximately 2/3s more people.

I hate that handle tie rule.

BlaineXD

Thanks For The Help

Thanks For The Help

Thanks for the help, everyone. Its great hearing everyone's opinions and practices on the matter.
Have a great day,
--Nate

480sparky

I often do show staggered receptacles, but for a different reason than you are describing. In circumstances for which multi-wire branch circuits are allowed, I will generally go around the room with receptacles powered from, in order, circuit 1, then 3, then 5, then 1, then 3, etc. My intent is to balance the loading and to minimize the magnetic field generated within the conduit. It is not a big deal, however, and certainly not a code requirement.

I typically spread the circuits out, too. But it can backfire.

I wired 9 recepts along a church kitchen one time. I wired them 1 3 5 1 3 5 1 3 5. The following week they called and said all three breakers had tripped. [This was before the common - trip requirement]

So I head over and can't find any issues. Next week, same problem. So I drive out again.

Turns out, they didn't want to overload any one circuit so they plugged everything into every third recept. Eventually, all the roasters and coffee makers would trip the breaker, so they just shifted everything to the next receptacles.

So they started out with everything on circuit 1, it would trip, then everything got moved to circuit 3 until it tripped. Then on to 5.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I typically spread the circuits out, too. But it can backfire.

I wired 9 recepts along a church kitchen one time. I wired them 1 3 5 1 3 5 1 3 5. The following week they called and said all three breakers had tripped. [This was before the common - trip requirement]

So I head over and can't find any issues. Next week, same problem. So I drive out again.

Turns out, they didn't want to overload any one circuit so they plugged everything into every third recept. Eventually, all the roasters and coffee makers would trip the breaker, so they just shifted everything to the next receptacles.

So they started out with everything on circuit 1, it would trip, then everything got moved to circuit 3 until it tripped. Then on to 5.

Hilarious! No good deed goes unpunished. Who would think anyone in the kitchen would care to carefully balance the load?

Status
Not open for further replies.