Stair tread lighting

JoeNorm

My customer wants stair tread lighting but has not picked out a product yet. Should I just install single gang boxes with 120v wiring or is low voltage best for this application?

Kansas Mountain

Occupation
Lighting and Lighting Control Designs
I would really push the customer to reach a decision ASAP, and give them a proposed method of how you will proceed by a certain date if a decision is not reached to avoid delays. Lots of ways to accomplish stair lighting and the rough-in requirements can vary wildly.

Have they at least decided on what type of stairs they'll be doing?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I personally like doing 1 gangs with eaton night lights. They look nice and are simple and no switch needed. If they want treads with tape under them thats much more expensive and I'd do a 45° extrusion with diffuser anything else risks damage from vacuums and other cleaning.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Indoor or outdoor?

I would start with pics of different styles and ask for the customer's preference(s).

Maybe an LED ribbon recessed into the bottom of the handrail.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
"I don't know what I want" = I don't know how to wire that.
Maybe the HO doing their own thing but shouldn't be the case for the EC.
Most cases I've seen with the HO indicating they don't know what they want is "I don't like the price for what I want", so the EC is left trying to find what will give the customer the desired effect at a cost the customer is willing to spend.