Stairway lighting

tompegbel

Occupation
Engineer
I just purchased a newly built townhouse in Methuen MA and at the entrance there is stairway to the second floor. There is a light switch and a light fixture at the entrance and another switch and fixture at the top of the stairs such that both switches control both light fixtures. I had asked the builder if they could change the switches so that the one at the bottom of the stairs at the entrance only controls the light fixture at the bottom and the switch at the top of the stairs only controls the light fixture at the top of the stairs. According to the builder the code requires that both switches both control the light fixtures at the top and the bottom. I can not find this listed in the local code and wondered if anyone else had come across a similar situation.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
"210.70(A)(2)(c) Where lighting outlets are installed for an interior stairway with six or more risers between floor levels, there shall be a listed wall-mounted control device at each floor level and at each landing level that includes a stairway entry to control the lighting outlets."

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Both lights may not need to come on together.

Many times, the entry light will be switched at the top and bottom, and the upstairs light will be switched only upstairs

tompegbel

Occupation
Engineer
Both lights may not need to come on together.

Many times, the entry light will be switched at the top and bottom, and the upstairs light will be switched only upstairs
That is what I want...in regards to the bottom switch only switching the bottom and the top only switching the top. Either way the stairs are illuminated. I don't see how the code requires both lights to be controlled from both switches rather than independently.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
That is what I want...in regards to the bottom switch only switching the bottom and the top only switching the top. Either way the stairs are illuminated. I don't see how the code requires both lights to be controlled from both switches rather than independently.
The switch doesn't have to control both lights per code. Code only says that there be a light and switch at each location. Of course the easiest, and most common is a 3-way switch at top and bottom that controls the light(s).

To do what you want, wiring would have to be changed and possibly wall finish disturbed.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
That is what I want...in regards to the bottom switch only switching the bottom and the top only switching the top.
It can't happen that way.

One of those lights would need a second switch so that you can turn on and off from upstairs AND downstairs.

The other light could have separate switch if you want.

But like @Little Bill said, it would require wiring changes. Easiest thing would be adding a single switch upstairs, wired to control just the upstairs light.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
do they allow wireless switches for three way for stairs I know it mentioned it just can’t remember if it’s a na or yay
I installed a wireless switch to a set of stairs in a remodel. The way the house was laid out there was no way to wire a 3-way. I used the Lutron RF (now Caseta) and a Pico remote. I used the wall bracket straight to the wall with a screwless Decora plate. Looks just like a real switch. Inspector was fine with it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
do they allow wireless switches for three way for stairs I know it mentioned it just can’t remember if it’s a na or yay
The following was added to the 2023 code for wireless devices that rely on battery power.
210.70 Lighting Outlets Required.
Lighting outlets shall be installed where specified in 210.70(A), (B), and (C). The switch or wall-mounted control device shall not rely exclusively on a battery unless a means is provided for automatically energizing the lighting outlets upon battery failure.