stand-by generator sizing as per 702.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Re: stand-by generator sizing as per 702.5

Dave if you want to worry about possible overloads take a minute to wrap you head around 230.90(A)Exception No. 3. :D

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Dave,
A Manual Transfer switch FORCES the user to choose loads.
Frankly, I'd say it's the capacity of the generator. Manual or Auto has no bearing.

davedottcom

wrap you head around 230.90(A)Exception No. 3
um...yea.
That all sounds right to me. I would just like to add...uh...(knock-knock) hold on, someone's at my door...I gotta go. Talk to you later.

:)

[ October 05, 2005, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: davedottcom ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by al hildenbrand: Its not what "can be run", but what is "intended to be operated at one time." And: "The user of the optional standby system shall be permitted to select the load connected to the system. . . . The User gets to choose.
I think we need to come to some disagreement ;) :p

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

But, Charlie, 702.5 says user, not owner.

iwire

Staff member

Charlie I will disagree :p

I think you are twisting a very clear section of code.

Dave, the HVAC system does have a 10kw heatstrip which if turned on would increase my load by about 16 amps more than the a/c compressors RLA of 25. which would put the total load with every thing on at about 134 amps,but again every load would have to be on at the same time. Here in sunny South Florida we rarely ever turn on the heat, maybe once or twice the whole winter months, maybe never!!!
I know the code states to use the greater of the noncoincident loads, but i'm not sizing a service or feeder, i'm sizing a optional stand-by system according to 702.5.
We almost never have power outages in the winter months, it is always during hurricane season when it is very hot and the a/c units run continually. I agree with (iwire) the code is very clear on this issue, if the code required us to size a optional stand-by generator to the load calcs then 702.5 would not exist, It is the modifier to 220.40 that 702.3 speaks of.

Status
Not open for further replies.