Standard or Optional load calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bvernon40

Occupation
Electrical Technician
Why is a (dishwasher) added in the neutral load calculation? Ex: Annex D D1a,D2b. Please help anyone with input

Bvernon40

Occupation
Electrical Technician
My focus is residential right now. So, yes dishwasher does require a neutral and would be added. Is it every load with a neutral? What about the laundry or is it already included. Would it include other fixed equipment with a neutral. I know ranges(cooking equipment) and dryers are included with 70% factor. Just trying to understand NEC 220.61 a little better.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
My focus is residential right now. So, yes dishwasher does require a neutral and would be added. Is it every load with a neutral? What about the laundry or is it already included. Would it include other fixed equipment with a neutral. I know ranges(cooking equipment) and dryers are included with 70% factor. Just trying to understand NEC 220.61 a little better.

2020 NEC said:
220.61 Feeder or Service Neutral Load.
(A) Basic Calculation. The feeder or service neutral load
shall be the maximum unbalance of the load determined by this
article. The maximum unbalanced load shall be the maximum
net calculated load between the neutral conductor and any one
ungrounded conductor.

Exception: For 3-wire, 2-phase or 5-wire, 2-phase systems, the
maximum unbalanced load shall be the maximum net calculated
load between the neutral conductor and any one ungrounded
conductor multiplied by 140 percent.

So say you have a 30 spot panel, one way you could calculate this is is to add up all the 120V loads on the "A" leg then the "B" leg and use the higher number.
Since your in Philly you might be in the only place in the us that uses that exception for 2 phase 5 wire, as thats the only place I ever worked on that stuff, but I digress...
Hope that helps
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.