standoff bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is a local question but trying to get a general consensus, worked in commercial/residential construction in Illinois for 4+ years prior to going into military after getting out worked primarily commercial electrical and residential HVAC in Tennessee for the last 5. Started my own business and growing and business is taking larger jobs but like any business starting from the ground up which happens to be residential. Anyway the problem I'm putting in a residential underground I go into the supply houses to get a standoff bracket for my rise on the pole and they don't have them. one store had one bracket in stock which had a channel on the face of it to small for strut to fit into and belly bands for steel poles with no type of rack to attach to the clamp for the steel band. Some told me they don't carry anything for it and others told me its special order lol. One guy told me contractors lag bolt strut directly on wood poles the another bend all thread to form a u-bolt. Wtf. Is this for real it's not where I was at in Illinois. Is anyone else doing this. #clarksvilleTN

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Does your POCO permit using utility riser guard. Perhaps your supply house carries this product but didn't bring it up because you did not ask.

Is ordering over the internet out of the question?

iwire

Staff member
My first thought would be to look around at other installations you see while you are driving around. In my area you will never see standoffs used on poles, in another state I see them used extensively. I would simply follow along with what is commonly done in that area.

Here we use two hole straps and lags to secure conduit risers to poles.

JFletcher

I know this is a local question but trying to get a general consensus, worked in commercial/residential construction in Illinois for 4+ years prior to going into military after getting out worked primarily commercial electrical and residential HVAC in Tennessee for the last 5. Started my own business and growing and business is taking larger jobs but like any business starting from the ground up which happens to be residential. Anyway the problem I'm putting in a residential underground I go into the supply houses to get a standoff bracket for my rise on the pole and they don't have them. one store had one bracket in stock which had a channel on the face of it to small for strut to fit into and belly bands for steel poles with no type of rack to attach to the clamp for the steel band. Some told me they don't carry anything for it and others told me its special order lol. One guy told me contractors lag bolt strut directly on wood poles the another bend all thread to form a u-bolt. Wtf. Is this for real it's not where I was at in Illinois. Is anyone else doing this. #clarksvilleTN

We had to go to Fastenal to get stainless U bolts to mount Superstrut to 1.5" RMC poles sunk into the concrete. Lags into 4x4 or 6x6 post is fine

kwired

Electron manager
I almost never run raceway up a POCO pole. Most of the time I have to provide the raceway, and extend the underground at least a foot or two out of the ground, but the POCO will finish running it up the pole and use whatever strapping method they prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.