starting power consumption of a motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

arz

dear friends,

i would like to know what will be the starting load or power for a motor. i have heard that it will take almost double the power while starting. is it true.
is it different for single phase and three phase motor.
what is the concept and how is it calculated.

if i want to put solar power to the motors. should i select the battery of double capacity. what if i start the motor two or three times.

please reply .. urgent.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Because I am heading off to work, and you have a sense of urgency, I am leaving this open.

I hope that no one responds, unless you clarify the motive behind your question. By your profile, I don't believe you are an electrical designer or installer.

From the Forum Rules:
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
arz said:
dear friends,

i would like to know what will be the starting load or power for a motor. i have heard that it will take almost double the power while starting. is it true.
is it different for single phase and three phase motor.
what is the concept and how is it calculated.

if i want to put solar power to the motors. should i select the battery of double capacity. what if i start the motor two or three times.

please reply .. urgent.

I recommend it would be in your best interest to hire an electrical engineer

dbuckley

You've used the words "three phase", "solar" and "battery" all in the same post. The word you haven't used is "inverter". If you are trying to start a three phase motor from a battery supply then there must be an inverter in the way.

That inverter is the thing you need to size right for motor starting, everything else is secondary to that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.