Staying Busy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is a vague question, but when is busy too busy?

Has anyone ever been swamped with work and can't seem to find the personnel to help out?
Don't get me wrong being busy is nice, but so are weekends:D.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There have definitely been many stretches of a few weeks when I was working 7 days a week because I was so busy. I don't like doing that because I value work/life balance. But, I just kept working it because I knew a lull was coming and they always do. This is a cyclic business. The December downturn is coming soon.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thankfully I've been slammed with work this past year. I just wish it had happened when my knees were younger. There were several months when I worked 7 days a week, not because I was greedy but because there was that much work that had to be completed in a given amount of time. I'm not one to turn away work but I had to pass on several jobs just because I was too busy to even look at the jobs. On the bright side - I enjoyed going to the bank and going on vacations. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Winter is coming and it's usually my slow time. That's when I'm getting at least one of my knees replaced.:roll:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Thankfully I've been slammed with work this past year. I just wish it had happened when my knees were younger. There were several months when I worked 7 days a week, not because I was greedy but because there was that much work that had to be completed in a given amount of time. I'm not one to turn away work but I had to pass on several jobs just because I was too busy to even look at the jobs. On the bright side - I enjoyed going to the bank and going on vacations. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Winter is coming and it's usually my slow time. That's when I'm getting at least one of my knees replaced.:roll:

I'm contemplating that. Please keep us apprised. I have a very bad right knee, definitely affects my quality of life, but at 62 it seems a little young as I understand the life of the joint is about 20 years. They are also making big strides in joint surgery, and if I can push it off I might get a better product.

That said, my wife's aunt and uncle have both had replacements. I saw Barb a couple of weeks ago and thought she was going to haul me to the hospital on the spot, that's how enthusiastic she was. Unlike sameguy's observation, no indication that it was all that painful.

JFletcher

Hips and knees. For some reason a lot of people I know are getting replacements. Almost every one wonders why they waited.

Doctors are generally resistant to replacing knees and hips in people that are in their 30s, 40s, or even early 50s. my uncle has needed new knees since his early 30s, he got his first one done last year, when he was 57. They are also pretty adamant in not doing what amounts to major surgery on people who smoke... It takes a lot longer to heal from such surgeries.

The only definition I have of too busy is having to be in two or more places at one time. When I did commercial communications, we would often have four plus projects going on at one time. There was more than one instance where buildings would start 10 months apart and need their final and/or CoO within weeks of each other. This is not fun when said properties are 600 miles apart.

To slow is far worse for me, though the days where everything falls through are a good time to catch up on paperwork, organize and wash a truck, or go fishing.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
what's 'too busy' ?

maybe when someone has to tell you what day it is....:eek:hmy:

~RJ~
A year or so ago my help told me just that. “Hell, I don’t even know what today is!”

Strange how things work out. I couldn’t find time to breath a few years ago while a good share of you were wondering what you were going to do. Tariffs have hit my main customer base hard and consequently me. The “support” offered because of that impact is a pittance.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

If you were that slammed, how did you find time for a vacation?:p

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm contemplating that. Please keep us apprised. I have a very bad right knee, definitely affects my quality of life, but at 62 it seems a little young as I understand the life of the joint is about 20 years. They are also making big strides in joint surgery, and if I can push it off I might get a better product.

That said, my wife's aunt and uncle have both had replacements. I saw Barb a couple of weeks ago and thought she was going to haul me to the hospital on the spot, that's how enthusiastic she was. Unlike same guy's observation, no indication that it was all that painful.
I don't want to pirate this thread away from the OP so I'm starting a new thread in the "Campfire Chat" section titled "Knee surgery". Anyone wanting to follow or comment can do it there.:thumbsup:

I just realized there's no Campfire Chat section anymore so I'll start a new thread in this section

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired

That said, my wife's aunt and uncle have both had replacements. I saw Barb a couple of weeks ago and thought she was going to haul me to the hospital on the spot, that's how enthusiastic she was. Unlike sameguy's observation, no indication that it was all that painful.

I said that because my wife just had her knee done in June and had her hip done the spring before and her doctor told her " if you thought your hip surgery hurt, your knee surgery is a completely different level of pain so get your mind ready it's going to really hurt!". She is happy with the hip and glad she did it, assume it will be the same with the knee after it all heals. This was all due to an accident at work in 2015, comp. that's a real pain to deal with; drag things out and refuse everything automatically.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you were that slammed, how did you find time for a vacation?:p
All those $$$ you make when you are working 7 days a week entitle you to some time off but you have to schedule it. It was tough but a cruise to the southern Caribbean, a week in Aruba and then a trip to Iceland and a few trips to Chicago in between to see the grand kids was all worth the extra time I spent doing the work 7 days a week (but that's what happens when your wife retires).:roll:

Your Replacement

Your Replacement

I just posted a similar suggestion. Hire a manager that can replace you. Then you can focus mostly on sales, and customer service.

The difficult part is finding someone that will run your company as if it was their own business. Best of luck!

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I remember working 63 straight days one time and that included a lot of 12+ hour days. Like has been said you take it, because the time comes when you keep picking up the phone to see if it's still working.

I always tell people that if I knew when the highs and lows would be, I could be a millionaire, simply by selling that information.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
..remember working 63 straight days one time..

Feast before Famine with public-review sites like Yelp, Google, and others also have cycles. Eventually each advertiser's volume will peak, until getting competitor attention.

Any contractor is vulnerable to regulatory entrapment; invitations to demonstrate fraud & lawless conduct with under reported payroll, workers-comp., license limits, Building-Permit requirements, and invitations to license-board stings, especially if not Licensed in a State with license-board enforcement. Competitors will report you to enforcement agencies weather you violate the law or not.

When my public-reviews peaked, so did invitations to violate License law, by working beyond my scope. Refusing to bite kept me out of jail, so what followed was unusual Public-Reviews hating on my business. Trying to get advertisers to remove defamation not originating from customers was a full-time job, and peaked my emotional involvement, and frustration. Until the advertiser demanded an exponential increase in fees from ~$100. to $1000. a Month.

After refusing to pay, and seeking justice in small-claims against one defamatory dirt bag, the advertiser blocked my business page with a Warning Banner, stating my business was an enemy of free speech. What was once a my best advertising source suddenly dropped to Zero, but work volume from other sources were in different stages of similar cycles.

Many repeat customers stopped calling, others waited to see me before asking what happened on Yelp.com. After telling the truth, some never called back. It was a double-edged sword, since delinquent clients --who threatened bad reviews on Yelp-- were shown the Yelp Warning Banner that proved they couldn't hurt me any worse, but could own me $10,000 with damages in California small claims court.

Some competitors figure out when to ring my phone to interrogate me about license law in front of their previous clients, before I can place them on hold. It works, since some of those clients never called back. Sometimes strange interrogations by phone occur just before clients offer me to work beyond my scope, followed by a bad review on Yelp.com complaining that I hung up after they asked about my license.

Yelp.com does find bad reviews in violation of policy, but after letting some nasty reviews stick me real good, they didn't need the Warning Banner any more, and eventually removed it. What seems certain, is all good things will come to an end, so will work exclusively from one client, or advertising source.

After 10 years of refusing work that voids property-insurance claims, Nirvana arrives in other ways. While working with a prior client, invoiced ~4 years ago, I could not remember them; not their face, their voice, their property, nor their neighborhood. But, they seemed to remember my name with amazing clarity and trust, as if we were the best of buds. Felling like a celebrity that earned it was a flattering experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.