Steep Roof work platforms

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Solar Design and Installation Professional
Has anyone used the Pitch Hopper or the Roofsmart Pads when installing on steep roofs? Do you have any details to share as to your thoughts on how useful they are, any issues, the quality, durability, etc? Thanks

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Licensed Electrician and General Contractor
Has anyone used the Pitch Hopper or the Roofsmart Pads when installing on steep roofs? Do you have any details to share as to your thoughts on how useful they are, any issues, the quality, durability, etc? Thanks

Steep roofs are tough no matter how you do it. Are you using rail or railless?

We prefer railless for residential, specifically SnapNRack RL-universal. The first step is setting an aluminum skirt which backstops the entire install. It makes it a lot easier to build up rather than floating rail.

That may change your need to stage modules like you’re describing. We have a TranzVolt ladder lift, so we leave 4 modules sitting on it and then just pass them up with one person staffing the ladder.

It’s not fast, but it’s safe and a lot more comfortable. Especially when you use SnapNRack top speeds, they are roof deck mounted and don’t require a rafter. We pre attach the micro to the module frame down on the ground, so it’s a lot easier.

Zee

I have not used those. Sounds interesting.

I use scaffolds.

I have installed on steep roofs since 2001.
We used to use ropes and harnesses. It is hairy and scary and hurts and tough.

--Both your hands are needed just to properly manage the climbing gear, yet you need a third hand to work with tools.
--Even if you are positioned well and working, where do you keep your materials and tools?
--If you drop anything, it slides and tumbles over the eave/gutter and down....onto who knows what.
And yes you WILL drop things, including heavy items.

Since 2005, I have a scaffolder set up a scaffold on each steep job, under the array.
Usually around $1,200.
Worth every single penny.
It is as much, or less than, my usual adder for installation labor on a steep roof.

My labor is 1/3.

We just walk materials up the scaffold as they now have stairs, or hand them up level by level.

You could have a seizure and you'd likely just slide onto the scaffold.

Also i dont have to store it, set it up or take it down. That is all not my problem.

Zee

Now, I wouldn't tell my guys not to tie off........ however, once the scaffold is up you almost feel as secure as if you were working off the ground.

Also, I would use a rail mounted system. The horizontal rails become your ladder or big jungle gym as you work your way up the steep roof.
It creates lots of places to put things, and even hang items, which is always a big challenge on steep roofs.

Edit: oh I see what the Pitch Hopper is. Cool!
A rack of rails installed is like 100 Pitch Hoppers everywhere.

I will also spring for the stronger rail. Doesn't bend too much under foot. (e.g XR100 vs XR10)

Last edited:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Now, I wouldn't tell my guys not to tie off........ however, once the scaffold is up you almost feel as secure as if you were working off the ground.
In the company I just retired from being caught not tied off was grounds for immediate termination.